DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or
CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how
much "extra" space to allow for the straps.

-Adrian

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You could use a nylon lasing tie that comes in fix lengths of 36 to 80
inches long by 5/8 to 3/4 inch wide and about 1/8 inch thick on the edges
where there is a raise rib edge or in bulk length that comes in 1/2 to 1
inch wide by about 0.04 to 0.06 inch thick.

You can get them with a built in flat inline releasable fastener or separate
fastener that can be attach to any length lasing tie that you can cut to
length. We get these straps from Thomas and Betts from our electrical
supply house. You can also get them from Home Depot with the built in
fastener or in any bulk length you want. They can order any type you want.

I use the releasable fastener type with a nylon backing plate that can be
bolted to any structure and then the strap connects to the backing plate by
slipping through a slot to hold any device up to 200 lbs.

Roland


----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian DeLeon" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:59 AM
Subject: [EVDL] Li strapping hardware dimensions


> Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or
> CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how
> much "extra" space to allow for the straps.
>
> -Adrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought CALB cells from EV Components last year, they came with
strapping "bars" that were 3/8-inch thick, so 3/4 total for both sides.

Bill

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Adrian DeLeon [email protected]
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:59:38 -0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: [EVDL] Li strapping hardware dimensions


Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or =

CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how =

much "extra" space to allow for the straps.

-Adrian

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev


--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web LIVE =96 Free email based on Microsoft=AE Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE



_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used this kind of device for years:
http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/strapex-1293/hand-tools-for-plastic-strappin=
g-4413/page-5-fullsize.html

Some of the nylon straps fit like a glove to the Winston Battery
threads. So the support is also multidimensional. Not only the
compression.

Sure .. the tool is expensive... but.. ah.. .it is sooo neat, fast and
easy. Then again the straps are cheap.

I usually borrow my machine to the customers together with a reel of
right size nylon strap.

This method has been tested 6 years already and there has been very
little complaints. Sometimes when the settings are not right the
melting point is ugly and might break (and does not fit the toe
cooling grooves. But.. after some practice everyone have mastered the
art.

Nylon straps are also immune to the heating effects (of course to the
certain limit) and the compression is dynamic. It allows some
stretching and it returns to the original length after the stress
releases. Steel straps will stay loose and might allow cells to slide
enough sideways to lock the cells by their cooling fins. This
generated problems with the old type interconnects. =3D> loose
connections =3D> fire.

-akkuJukka

http://www.google.com/profiles/jarviju#about



2010/12/29 [email protected] <[email protected]>:
> When I bought CALB cells from EV Components last year, they came with
> strapping "bars" that were 3/8-inch thick, so 3/4 total for both sides.
>
> Bill
>
> Original Message:
> -----------------
> From: Adrian DeLeon [email protected]
> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:59:38 -0800
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: [EVDL] Li strapping hardware dimensions
>
>
> Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or
> CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how
> much "extra" space to allow for the straps.
>
> -Adrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> mail2web LIVE =96 Free email based on Microsoft=AE Exchange technology -
> http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people, including myself, don't like the threaded rods and end bars that
come with CALB cells. I used some small cargo straps and adjustable
turnbuckles for increased tension, with 1/4 inch end plates.

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii419/JRP3_photos/DSC00914.jpg


Adrian DeLeon wrote:
>
> Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or
> CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how
> much "extra" space to allow for the straps.
>
> -Adrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Li-strapping-hardware-dimensions-tp3167285p3167852.html
Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or you can get a manual system off ebay for US$50 or so... just =

search for 'Plastic Strapping Tensioner' but you need the sealer =

(crimper), some seals (little metal crimp-on things that lock the two =

strap ends together) and the plastic strap - which you can usually get =

for free if you know somewhere that has large boxes delivered =

regularly (you can re-use the strapping).

See ... http://www.winlow.co.uk/wychwood.co.uk/EV_Conversion_-_Part_2.html =

... for some pictures of how it works. 160Ah TS cells with 1/8" =

mild steel end-plates (corners rounded with a file to protect the =

strap).

Jukka's machine will give you easy consistency of tension but a bit of =

practice with the manual one will give goods results too. Just don't =

over do it - you only want enough tension in the straps so that your =

block of cells doesn't move relative to each other when lifted at each =

end or generally shoved about.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

Jukka J=E4rvinen wrote:

> I've used this kind of device for years:
> http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/strapex-1293/hand-tools-for-plastic-strapp=
ing-4413/page-5-fullsize.html
>
> Some of the nylon straps fit like a glove to the Winston Battery
> threads. So the support is also multidimensional. Not only the
> compression.
>
> Sure .. the tool is expensive... but.. ah.. .it is sooo neat, fast and
> easy. Then again the straps are cheap.
>
> I usually borrow my machine to the customers together with a reel of
> right size nylon strap.
>
> This method has been tested 6 years already and there has been very
> little complaints. Sometimes when the settings are not right the
> melting point is ugly and might break (and does not fit the toe
> cooling grooves. But.. after some practice everyone have mastered the
> art.
>
> Nylon straps are also immune to the heating effects (of course to the
> certain limit) and the compression is dynamic. It allows some
> stretching and it returns to the original length after the stress
> releases. Steel straps will stay loose and might allow cells to slide
> enough sideways to lock the cells by their cooling fins. This
> generated problems with the old type interconnects. =3D> loose
> connections =3D> fire.
>
> -akkuJukka
>
> http://www.google.com/profiles/jarviju#about
>
>
>
>
>> When I bought CALB cells from EV Components last year, they came with
>> strapping "bars" that were 3/8-inch thick, so 3/4 total for both =

>> sides.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> Original Message:
>> -----------------
>> From: Adrian DeLeon [email protected]
>> Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by =

>> TS or
>> CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know =

>> how
>> much "extra" space to allow for the straps.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>





-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101230/9d247f1a=
/attachment.html =

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using nylon strap to secure valve regulated lead batteries for
some years now. Easy to apply and seems to work well, though I always
wonder how it would fare in a collision, so it's strictly for offroad stuff
(Elec-Traks) at the moment.

I also haven't used it on flooded batteries since I'd expect the acid mist
would degrade the nylon and rust the clips.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EVDL Administrator wrote:
> I've been using nylon strap to secure valve regulated lead batteries for
> some years now. Easy to apply and seems to work well, though I always
> wonder how it would fare in a collision, so it's strictly for offroad stuff
> (Elec-Traks) at the moment.

When designing my battery hold-down hardware, I somewhere got
information that roll-overs might create loads of about 8 g. Though
the OP was talking about strapping to restrain expansion of cells, it
would be prudent to make sure any strapping intended to hold a block of
cells in place could lift eight times the weight of the cells. And
even add a factor of safety of 2 or more.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 109 days 15 hours 10 minutes

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Adrian,

Everyone else has given great advice. I ended up using 1/8" thick aluminum plates that I "fabricated" myself out of a big sheet. I also used a strapping kit similar to Martin's. I bought mine for $80 on ebay (5/8" mini polyester strapping kit). Don't get larger than 5/8" with the Thundersky cells -- it won't fit in the grooves on the side of the cells.

I literally just finished strapping my cells together last week, so this is all fresh in my mind. I put together a blog posting detailing the steps:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-strapping-thundersky-batteries-together/

In regards to your question, here is what I did: I added 1/8" on each side (for a total of 1/4"). However, I found my box was too tight when made to that size, and I couldn't easily drop in the cells. Instead, I recommend adding another 1/8" on the side. I ended up cutting my box and welding it a little wider to get them to fit. I just finished a post on my front battery box for my '69 bug, outlined here:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-front-battery-box-fabrication/ -- includes what happens when the box is sized to fit :)

I also posted my sketchup files and details in this posting:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-battery-box-design/

Have fun!

corbin


Adrian DeLeon wrote:

> Does anyone have the dimensions of the strapping hardware used by TS or
> CALB? I'm trying to configure a battery pack and would like to know how
> much "extra" space to allow for the straps.
>
> -Adrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work Corbin, and nice documentation!
--
View this message in context: http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Li-strapping-hardware-dimensions-tp3167285p3169421.html
Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how much pressure is required on these cells to stop them
from bowing out on the ends but I've seen a couple sets do that. Maybe
just under abuse but I don't know. It seems that the 1/8" aluminum
plate and straps may not be rigid enough across the width to prevent
gradual bowing out of the cells. This is not based on any real
knowledge, data or calculations - just a thought.

Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
San Antonio, TX


On 12/30/2010 10:15 PM, corbin dunn wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Everyone else has given great advice. I ended up using 1/8" thick aluminum plates that I "fabricated" myself out of a big sheet. I also used a strapping kit similar to Martin's. I bought mine for $80 on ebay (5/8" mini polyester strapping kit). Don't get larger than 5/8" with the Thundersky cells -- it won't fit in the grooves on the side of the cells.
>
> I literally just finished strapping my cells together last week, so this is all fresh in my mind. I put together a blog posting detailing the steps:
>
> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-strapping-thundersky-batteries-together/
>
> In regards to your question, here is what I did: I added 1/8" on each side (for a total of 1/4"). However, I found my box was too tight when made to that size, and I couldn't easily drop in the cells. Instead, I recommend adding another 1/8" on the side. I ended up cutting my box and welding it a little wider to get them to fit. I just finished a post on my front battery box for my '69 bug, outlined here:
>
> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-front-battery-box-fabrication/ -- includes what happens when the box is sized to fit :)
>
> I also posted my sketchup files and details in this posting:
>
> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-battery-box-design/
>
> Have fun!
>
> corbin
>
>
>
Adrian DeLeon wrote:
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey gary -- good point; I considered 1/4", but it is just so heavy...and the bug is already weighing more than I hoped! I just dropped my front batteries in the front trunk, and I think I'm going to need new shocks :)

I'll definitely let everyone know how the 1/8" end plates work out once I get the thing driving. I have a big hill (highway 17, in Santa Cruz), which will definitely test the car out on a daily basis.

corbin

gary wrote:

> I'm not sure how much pressure is required on these cells to stop them
> from bowing out on the ends but I've seen a couple sets do that. Maybe
> just under abuse but I don't know. It seems that the 1/8" aluminum
> plate and straps may not be rigid enough across the width to prevent
> gradual bowing out of the cells. This is not based on any real
> knowledge, data or calculations - just a thought.
>
> Gary Krysztopik
> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> San Antonio, TX
>
>
> On 12/30/2010 10:15 PM, corbin dunn wrote:
>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>> Everyone else has given great advice. I ended up using 1/8" thick aluminum plates that I "fabricated" myself out of a big sheet. I also used a strapping kit similar to Martin's. I bought mine for $80 on ebay (5/8" mini polyester strapping kit). Don't get larger than 5/8" with the Thundersky cells -- it won't fit in the grooves on the side of the cells.
>>
>> I literally just finished strapping my cells together last week, so this is all fresh in my mind. I put together a blog posting detailing the steps:
>>
>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-strapping-thundersky-batteries-together/
>>
>> In regards to your question, here is what I did: I added 1/8" on each side (for a total of 1/4"). However, I found my box was too tight when made to that size, and I couldn't easily drop in the cells. Instead, I recommend adding another 1/8" on the side. I ended up cutting my box and welding it a little wider to get them to fit. I just finished a post on my front battery box for my '69 bug, outlined here:
>>
>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-front-battery-box-fabrication/ -- includes what happens when the box is sized to fit :)
>>
>> I also posted my sketchup files and details in this posting:
>>
>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-battery-box-design/
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> corbin
>>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
corbin dunn wrote:
> Hey gary -- good point; I considered 1/4", but it is just so heavy...and the bug is already weighing more than I hoped! I just dropped my front batteries in the front trunk, and I think I'm going to need new shocks :)
>
> I'll definitely let everyone know how the 1/8" end plates work out once I get the thing driving. I have a big hill (highway 17, in Santa Cruz), which will definitely test the car out on a daily basis.

A agree with Gary, !/8" SEEMS too thin and not stiff enough. Have you
seen how ThunderSky bearing plates are made? You could approximate
them by welding about 1/4" thick stiffening strips, maybe 1" wide, to
your bearing plates and positioned under your plastic straps.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 110 days 11 hours 37 minutes

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Willie McKemie wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:38:32AM -0800, corbin dunn wrote:
>> Hey gary -- good point; I considered 1/4", but it is just so heavy...and the bug is already weighing more than I hoped! I just dropped my front batteries in the front trunk, and I think I'm going to need new shocks :)
>>
>> I'll definitely let everyone know how the 1/8" end plates work out once I get the thing driving. I have a big hill (highway 17, in Santa Cruz), which will definitely test the car out on a daily basis.
>
> A agree with Gary, !/8" SEEMS too thin and not stiff enough. Have you
> seen how ThunderSky bearing plates are made? You could approximate
> them by welding about 1/4" thick stiffening strips, maybe 1" wide, to
> your bearing plates and positioned under your plastic straps.


I haven't seen the thundersky ones in person, but I have seen pictures. They indeed do look thicker than 1/8", and they look ribbed for strength.

For mine, I'm already set on using 1/8", since they are now all in the car. Plus, I don't have a TIG welder, which I would need to weld aluminum. I'll look into a solution if I do get swelling issues. We'll see how it works soon...

corbin




_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My impression was that if you don't over/under-charge them that they
don't swell much if at all anyway. Certainly my TS160's (bought mid
'08) strapped up into 7's or 8's with 1/8" mild steel end plates
secured with 5 plastic straps have not swelled at all. I haven't had
any significant accidents with charge state - YET and have had over
and under voltage protection all the time.

I see JR is using no strapping at all in his re-hash of Speedster Mk
I... but they are the blue CALB cells... 1/8" aluminum may not be
strong enough on the TS's.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

corbin dunn wrote:

> Hey gary -- good point; I considered 1/4", but it is just so
> heavy...and the bug is already weighing more than I hoped! I just
> dropped my front batteries in the front trunk, and I think I'm going
> to need new shocks :)
>
> I'll definitely let everyone know how the 1/8" end plates work out
> once I get the thing driving. I have a big hill (highway 17, in
> Santa Cruz), which will definitely test the car out on a daily basis.
>
> corbin
>
> On Dec 31, 2010, at 8:03 AM, gary wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how much pressure is required on these cells to stop
>> them
>> from bowing out on the ends but I've seen a couple sets do that.
>> Maybe
>> just under abuse but I don't know. It seems that the 1/8" aluminum
>> plate and straps may not be rigid enough across the width to prevent
>> gradual bowing out of the cells. This is not based on any real
>> knowledge, data or calculations - just a thought.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 12/30/2010 10:15 PM, corbin dunn wrote:
>>> Hi Adrian,
>>>
>>> Everyone else has given great advice. I ended up using 1/8" thick
>>> aluminum plates that I "fabricated" myself out of a big sheet. I
>>> also used a strapping kit similar to Martin's. I bought mine for
>>> $80 on ebay (5/8" mini polyester strapping kit). Don't get larger
>>> than 5/8" with the Thundersky cells -- it won't fit in the grooves
>>> on the side of the cells.
>>>
>>> I literally just finished strapping my cells together last week,
>>> so this is all fresh in my mind. I put together a blog posting
>>> detailing the steps:
>>>
>>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-strapping-thundersky-batteries-together/
>>>
>>> In regards to your question, here is what I did: I added 1/8" on
>>> each side (for a total of 1/4"). However, I found my box was too
>>> tight when made to that size, and I couldn't easily drop in the
>>> cells. Instead, I recommend adding another 1/8" on the side. I
>>> ended up cutting my box and welding it a little wider to get them
>>> to fit. I just finished a post on my front battery box for my '69
>>> bug, outlined here:
>>>
>>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-front-battery-box-fabrication/
>>> -- includes what happens when the box is sized to fit :)
>>>
>>> I also posted my sketchup files and details in this posting:
>>>
>>> http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2010/12/plug-bug-battery-box-design/
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>>
>>> corbin
>>>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top