DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After inspecting the tires on My think I have decided to replace them
as the tread is new but they are rotting on the sides due to age,
they were continental 155 70 13's but I can only find them in the UK,
does anyone know of a domestic source for this size? I think they
were used on older mini cars. Would a 165 70 13 be a bad option?

mark

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mark -

165/70-13 would probably be OK, but 165/65-13's would be better - they
would be closer to the original tire OD, so the speedo and Odo would be
pretty close. ( probably within 1/2 %)

You can get Bridgestone RE92's in this size ( 165/65-13) from Tirerack for
$53.

I've never seen real RR data for the RE92, but some people on this list
think they are fairly low RR.


Phil

>From: Mark Dutko <[email protected]>
>Reply-To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[email protected]>
>To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[email protected]>
>Subject: [EVDL] Odd size tire source needed
>Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 12:00:45 -0700
>
>After inspecting the tires on My think I have decided to replace them
>as the tread is new but they are rotting on the sides due to age,
>they were continental 155 70 13's but I can only find them in the UK,
>does anyone know of a domestic source for this size? I think they
>were used on older mini cars. Would a 165 70 13 be a bad option?
>
>mark
>
>_______________________________________________
>For subscription options, see
>http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_________________________________________________________________
It’s the Windows Live™ Hotmail® you love — on your phone!
http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=MobileHMTagline_2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Continental makes them but only in Europe, in fact they make almost =

the exact one on the car. No other domestic manufacturer I can find =

"lists" them. I called the mini dealer but no call back:(

M


Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> I am not sure where to get them, but a friend of mine just got a new
> set of 155/70/R13's on her subaru last year. It was apparently the
> stock tire on the 2wd ones in 1982. I do not know where she got
> them, or what brand they were though. I just remember thinking it was
> really odd that a 155 was standard, when I usually run 175's or 185's
> on the 4wd subaru's. Seems like a good tire store should be able to
> find something of that size in some brand though, and apparently they
> do exist. On the other hand, some really old tires just aren't made
> any more.... I had to upgrade to 15" rims to keep the same diameter
> tire on my truck -- because the 80 aspect 14" tires were not available
> in studded snow tires any more -- but if I'd been willing to stick to
> all seasons, I could have still gotten something.
>
> Z
>
> On 9/2/07, Phil Marino <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Mark -
>>
>> 165/70-13 would probably be OK, but 165/65-13's would be better =

>> - they
>> would be closer to the original tire OD, so the speedo and Odo =

>> would be
>> pretty close. ( probably within 1/2 %)
>>
>> You can get Bridgestone RE92's in this size ( 165/65-13) from =

>> Tirerack for
>> $53.
>>
>> I've never seen real RR data for the RE92, but some people on this =

>> list
>> think they are fairly low RR.
>>
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>> From: Mark Dutko <[email protected]>
>>> Reply-To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[email protected]>
>>> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: [EVDL] Odd size tire source needed
>>> Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 12:00:45 -0700
>>>
>>> After inspecting the tires on My think I have decided to replace =

>>> them
>>> as the tread is new but they are rotting on the sides due to age,
>>> they were continental 155 70 13's but I can only find them in the =

>>> UK,
>>> does anyone know of a domestic source for this size? I think they
>>> were used on older mini cars. Would a 165 70 13 be a bad option?
>>>
>>> mark
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> For subscription options, see
>>> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>>
>> _________________________________________________________________
>> It's the Windows Live=99 Hotmail(r) you love =97 on your phone!
>> http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=3DMobileHMTagline_2
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> For subscription options, see
>> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not uncommon to find odd tire sizes on original equipment. For
instance, my Neon came equipped with a tire size only available from
Firestone, at 70% higher cost than their other tires. At 130 miles, I
swapped them out for a "better" tire... one capable of 2.8 times the range
and a much better handling profile. They "only" charged me $140, because
they could sell the tires I pulled for more (used) than my tires cost.

In my case it meant my speedo was now off by 5%. In many cases, car
companies offer a "cheap" tire on their economy models (55 series?) and
another (same height) for their "optional" cars. You can check the online
tire sources to find if there is another size that has the same diameter. In
this instance, a 55 series (narrow and tall) might well match a 70 series
(wider, but not necessarily taller). Roughly speaking, the 55 will get
better mileage (MPG) with less grip and often with a shorter road mileage
than a similar 70 series. (Original equipment are often the lightest tire
available and what they'd run for best MPG performance... unless it's
upgraded to a "marginal" or "premium" tire.)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Zeke Yewdall" <[email protected]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Odd size tire source needed


I am not sure where to get them, but a friend of mine just got a new
set of 155/70/R13's on her subaru last year. It was apparently the
stock tire on the 2wd ones in 1982. I do not know where she got
them, or what brand they were though. I just remember thinking it was
really odd that a 155 was standard, when I usually run 175's or 185's
on the 4wd subaru's. Seems like a good tire store should be able to
find something of that size in some brand though, and apparently they
do exist. On the other hand, some really old tires just aren't made
any more.... I had to upgrade to 15" rims to keep the same diameter
tire on my truck -- because the 80 aspect 14" tires were not available
in studded snow tires any more -- but if I'd been willing to stick to
all seasons, I could have still gotten something.

Z

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>From what I've seen, it varies a lot. Obviously, if you are buying a high
end auto, it probably has great tires, but a cheap car might not be quite
the same.

The tires that came w/ my car were great for mileage... because they were
very stiff and light. Unfortunately, I got tired of them breaking loose when
I pushed down on the accelerator, thus the upgrade. The car handles and
rides better (as well as quieter), but possibly at the sacrifice of a couple
MPG?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Zeke Yewdall" <[email protected]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:13 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Odd size tire source needed


> Wow. I guess I sort of assume that the OEM tires are the best
> possible ones for a car, but now that I think about it, I do know of
> many cars that came with terrible tires from the factory.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top