DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried my brand new set of Optima Bluetops in my Sparrow. Put
about 3 miles on the bird.
Now, 1 of the Optimas is giving a just-audible hiss/crackle sound. Even
with the car completely turned off.
It's voltage seems ok.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John G. Lussmyer wrote:
> I just tried my brand new set of Optima Bluetops in my Sparrow. Put
> about 3 miles on the bird.
> Now, 1 of the Optimas is giving a just-audible hiss/crackle sound. Even
> with the car completely turned off.
> It's voltage seems ok.

It shouldn't make *any* sound. Perhaps you got one with a bad vent? I
would take it back.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> The D34 optimas come in both a blue and yellow version I think, and
> are the same except for terminals. The blue tops have the screw post
> and the regular automotive terminal, whereas the yellow top have the
> automotive terminal and the GM side terminals. Maybe...

The D34/78 yellowtops have the automotive posts and GM side terminals;
the D43 yellowtop has just the automotive posts.

Cheers,

Roger.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roger Stockton wrote:
> The D34/78 yellowtops have the automotive posts and GM side terminals;
> the D43 yellowtop has just the automotive posts.
>

Yup, and the screw posts make connecting regs easy.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you unsubscribe from this list ? I havent been
able to do it right


--- patrick DonEgan <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, are you saying there is NO difference in
> chemistry betwixt them
> now?
>
>
> On 9/4/07, John G. Lussmyer <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Roger Stockton wrote:
> > > The D34/78 yellowtops have the automotive posts
> and GM side terminals;
> > > the D43 yellowtop has just the automotive posts.
> > >
> >
> > Yup, and the screw posts make connecting regs
> easy.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
>
> --
> Patrick Ira Donegan
> TigerBody Electric Vehicles
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you unsubscribe from this list ? I havent been
able to do it right


--- patrick DonEgan <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, are you saying there is NO difference in
> chemistry betwixt them
> now?
>
>
> On 9/4/07, John G. Lussmyer <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Roger Stockton wrote:
> > > The D34/78 yellowtops have the automotive posts
> and GM side terminals;
> > > the D43 yellowtop has just the automotive posts.
> > >
> >
> > Yup, and the screw posts make connecting regs
> easy.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
>
> --
> Patrick Ira Donegan
> TigerBody Electric Vehicles
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
patrick DonEgan wrote:

> So, are you saying there is NO difference in chemistry betwixt them
> now?

Right, and as far as I know there never was.

Cheers,

Roger.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill Dube wrote:

> When Optima was not owned by JCI, there were two types of BlueTops.
> One was a YellowTop inside, and the other was a RedTop inside. Some
> boats just need starting batteries with maximum cranking amps. Other
> boats need deep cycle batteries with some compromise in cranking amps
> to allow repeated deep cycling.

This is still the situation, with the deep cycle/SLI nature of the
battery indicated by the colour of the battery case, as in the past.
Light grey case = deep cycle, regardless of the lid colour; dark grey
case = SLI, regardless of the lid colour.

Since only the deep cycle variety are of interest to non-drag racing
EVers, I made the assumption that Patrick was asking about the deep
cycle blue top vs the deep cycle yellow top.

Just browsing the technical specs on the Optima website will reveal that
the D34M blue top and D34 yellow top batteries have identical specs (CA,
CCA, RC, C/20), and that the "D" in the "D34" model designation
indicates a deep cycle model.

Cheers,

Roger.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top