DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hasn't anyone else heard that Trojan had one plant in the US and another in Mexico where quality was very suspect to the point where my local battery dealer stopped carrying Trojans because he had too many returns under warranty and could not tell where the batteries were manufactured. And now he says that Trojan has stopped manufacturing batteries in the US and only makes them in Mexico.
My dealer recommended US Batteries five years ago because of this Trojan problem and I took his advice.
I have not had any problems with 6 volt US145s or high capacity 8 volters bought five years ago and I just ordered another dozen US145s a few weeks ago. I think my battery guy said the only deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries made in the US now are Deka, Eastern Penn, and US Batteries.
Menlo Park III, Bill
____________________________________________________________
Refinance Now 3.7% FIXED
$160,000 Mortgage for $547/mo. FREE. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4cad58a8b6c571229dfst03vuc
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101007/0f780f06/attachment.html
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[email protected] wrote:

> Hasn't anyone else heard that Trojan had one plant in the US
> and another in Mexico where quality was very suspect to the
> point where my local battery dealer stopped carrying Trojans
> because he had too many returns under warranty and could not
> tell where the batteries were manufactured. And now he says
> that Trojan has stopped manufacturing batteries in the US and
> only makes them in Mexico.

[...]

> I think my battery guy said the only deep cycle flooded lead
> acid batteries made in the US now are Deka, Eastern Penn, and
> US Batteries.

Nonsense; perhaps your battery guy has an axe to grind with Trojan?

I recently toured a Trojan plant in Lithonia GA that is actively producing deep cycle flooded golf batteries, and has been doing so continuously for years. It is not Trojan's only plant in the US...

Cheers,

Roger.

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Stockton" <[email protected]>
To: "'Electric Vehicle Discussion List'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality


> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Hasn't anyone else heard that Trojan had one plant in the US
> > and another in Mexico where quality was very suspect to the
> > point where my local battery dealer stopped carrying Trojans
> > because he had too many returns under warranty and could not
> > tell where the batteries were manufactured. And now he says
> > that Trojan has stopped manufacturing batteries in the US and
> > only makes them in Mexico.
>
> [...]
>
> > I think my battery guy said the only deep cycle flooded lead
> > acid batteries made in the US now are Deka, Eastern Penn, and
> > US Batteries.
>
> Nonsense; perhaps your battery guy has an axe to grind with Trojan?
>
> I recently toured a Trojan plant in Lithonia GA that is actively producing
> deep cycle flooded golf batteries, and has been doing so continuously for
> years. It is not Trojan's only plant in the US...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.
>
And the other plant is in California where 24 out of 30 Trojans lasted 8.5
years. Put the 24 in a pickup a year ago and they are still going today.

The only problem is that the low profile posts had to be redone to a
standard auto post.

Roland

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Trojan T1275s have been very good to me. Still going and I got them
used....

I like Trojan batteries so much that I sell them as well!! They are made in
California and Georgia. The other post is NOT TRUE.


Sincerely;

Douglas A. Stansfield
President
www.TransAtlanticElectricConversions.com
973-875-6276 (office)
973-670-9208 (cell)
973-440-1619 (fax)

ELECTRIC CAR PRODUCERS





-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf
Of Roland Wiench
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:03 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality




----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Stockton" <[email protected]>
To: "'Electric Vehicle Discussion List'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality


> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Hasn't anyone else heard that Trojan had one plant in the US
> > and another in Mexico where quality was very suspect to the
> > point where my local battery dealer stopped carrying Trojans
> > because he had too many returns under warranty and could not
> > tell where the batteries were manufactured. And now he says
> > that Trojan has stopped manufacturing batteries in the US and
> > only makes them in Mexico.
>
> [...]
>
> > I think my battery guy said the only deep cycle flooded lead
> > acid batteries made in the US now are Deka, Eastern Penn, and
> > US Batteries.
>
> Nonsense; perhaps your battery guy has an axe to grind with Trojan?
>
> I recently toured a Trojan plant in Lithonia GA that is actively producing

> deep cycle flooded golf batteries, and has been doing so continuously for
> years. It is not Trojan's only plant in the US...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.
>
And the other plant is in California where 24 out of 30 Trojans lasted 8.5

years. Put the 24 in a pickup a year ago and they are still going today.

The only problem is that the low profile posts had to be redone to a
standard auto post.

Roland

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roland,
24 of 32 is only 75 percent.
What application did they last 8.5 years ?
What was the depth of discharge for the majority of cycles during those 8.5 years ?
Which Trojans batteries are you using ?
I am only talking about Trojan T145s and T125s.
Trojan does not make them with standard round automotive posts, but US Battery does.
Menlo Park III, Bill



____________________________________________________________
Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!
http://www.juno.com/freeemail?refcd=JUTAGOUT1FREM0210
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101014/8c054910/attachment.html
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:07 AM
Subject: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality

Hello Bill,

> Roland,
> 24 of 32 is only 75 percent.

Its 24 out of the 30 in the pack.

> What application did they last 8.5 years ?

The batteries are in a epoxy coated fiberglass box that was triple
insulated. One layer of 2 inch insulation over the box. A layer of foam
back marine carpet over that. The box is place in a pickup bed that has a 1
inch foam insulation on the bottom and 2 inch foam insulation on the sides
and also was cover with a foam back marine carpet.

A hatch back cover was built which was modified panels for a GM hatch back.
There is also a trunk type seal for the hatch and triple rubber seals on the
battery box cover.

My last set of batteries that I had before I had the Trojans, had Hydro
Cells on them and could not install them in this 12 inch high battery box,
so the Hydro Cell Co. said to put in a ventilation system that exhaust the
air from the box, while bringing in filter air in.

This EV is always park inside a garage that maintains 70+ F. While
charging, the fans bring in 70+ F. air while the garage door is crack open
about 2 inches. During the winter, I have a acid proof exhaust hose that
goes on the exhaust port which extends out like a exhaust pipe and to a port
on the garage door.

The garage doors are insulated for 19-R, the walls are at 45-R, and the
ceiling at 117-R. There is a 5kw electric overhead heater, but last winter
it never came on. The overhead lights if all are on, can circulated the
heat down to the floor which can raise the temperature to 80 F. if the
outside temperature is 0 F.

The formula for calculating heat loss-gain is:

Btur's = exterial square foot x (1/R-factor) x Temperature Difference
between the inside of a building and the outside.

A layer of 1/2 thick of baking soda is place in the box for the batteries to
set on. The combination of constant 70+ F, filter dry exhaust air, and the
soda has kept these batteries very clean.


> What was the depth of discharge for the majority of cycles during those
> 8.5 years ?

My depth of discharge was between 80% to 90% State of Charge (SOC) or from
100% SOC at 6.37V at 1.277 SG to about 6.25V at 1.238 SG. My daily drive was
about 1.1 miles and two 5.4 miles drives a week.

> Which Trojans batteries are you using ?

I was using the Trojans T-145's that came with the low profile posts. The
bolt studs started to rotate and/or pull out at only a 75 in.lb. torque. So
I was able to clamp on positive repair battery clamp around the pad which is
about 3/8 inch high. These battery clamps are plated gold battery clamp
that has ring grooves and 1/2 inch high.

I could torque these battery clamps to 120 in.lbs or 10 ft.lbs over this
small pad which then put internal pressure on the head of the bolt stud.
The battery clamp was about 1/8 inch higher then the battery pad, so I fill
that space with a lead washer which I made from a solid lead wire that you
can get at a fish and tackle store.

I then could then put downward pressure on this battery clamp by tightening
a SS washer and nut to 75 in.lbs.

You can get these battery clamps from the Wirth Company at www.wirthco.com.
I use the positive only #22206-7. Replace the 5/15" Wing Nut with a SS
washer, lock washer and nut.

> I am only talking about Trojan T145s and T125s.

> Trojan does not make them with standard round automotive posts, but US
> Battery does.

That why I using the US-T145s which I bought from my independent auto parts
store which been here since the 20's which they will only sell Interstate
batteries. The Interstate battery truck comes by once a week and delivers
the US-T125's and T145's. They deliver them right to my house on Sept 4,
2009.

Roland


> Menlo Park III, Bill
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________
> Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!
> http://www.juno.com/freeemail?refcd=JUTAGOUT1FREM0210
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101014/8c054910/attachment.html
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is not true of the T-105's, though - Trojan DOES make them in the
standard automotive post style. But they are 6V only.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [email protected]


----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:07 AM
Subject: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality


> Roland,
> 24 of 32 is only 75 percent.
> What application did they last 8.5 years ?
> What was the depth of discharge for the majority of cycles during those
> 8.5 years ?
> Which Trojans batteries are you using ?
> I am only talking about Trojan T145s and T125s.
> Trojan does not make them with standard round automotive posts, but US
> Battery does.
> Menlo Park III, Bill
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________
> Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!
> http://www.juno.com/freeemail?refcd=JUTAGOUT1FREM0210
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101014/8c054910/attachment.html
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the end of Rolands post, I believe he is indicating his current batteries are Interstate but made by US Battery.

I am using the same, however I picked up a copy of home power and US Battery has a full page ad indicating that effective March 2010, they are no longer supplying Interstate.

Anybody know who the current manufacturer of the Interstate golf car batteries is?

John

"Roland Wiench" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>> <Snip>
>
> That why I using the US-T145s which I bought from my independent auto parts
> store which been here since the 20's which they will only sell Interstate
> batteries. The Interstate battery truck comes by once a week and delivers
> the US-T125's and T145's. They deliver them right to my house on Sept 4,
> 2009.
>
> Roland

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello John,

I just got done talking to a Interstate Battery representative in my area
and he said the golf cart batteries up to 232 AH are made by Johnson
Control. I still can get the 251 AH ones from them which they will special
order from the U.S. Battery Co. I prefer this, because you can specified
that the batteries get have the same manufacturer date and optional posts.

The 251 AH are the Blue Tops Stock No. U2400 which is the same U.S. Battery
end part number.

Roland


----- Original Message -----
From: "John" <[email protected]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Trojan Deep Cycle Quality


> At the end of Rolands post, I believe he is indicating his current
> batteries are Interstate but made by US Battery.
>
> I am using the same, however I picked up a copy of home power and US
> Battery has a full page ad indicating that effective March 2010, they are
> no longer supplying Interstate.
>
> Anybody know who the current manufacturer of the Interstate golf car
> batteries is?
>
> John
>
>
"Roland Wiench" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >> <Snip>
> >
> > That why I using the US-T145s which I bought from my independent auto
> > parts
> > store which been here since the 20's which they will only sell
> > Interstate
> > batteries. The Interstate battery truck comes by once a week and
> > delivers
> > the US-T125's and T145's. They deliver them right to my house on Sept
> > 4,
> > 2009.
> >
> > Roland
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top