DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy 16 batteries in the ~300Ah capacity for a nominal 48VDC system. The batteries in question cost the same and are located in the USA so, no worries about shipping on the ocean, importation concerns, dock slow down concerns, etc.

I see a lot of random threads talking about EVE batteries but, I have heard CATL are superior batteries as well and equal to the EVE batteries. Is there a real reason to pick one over the other?

I am looking for a JBD BMS to manage my batteries and have 3700W to charge with right now. I am also looking for a better bigger capacity inverter.

TIA,
Sid

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have read some threads on the solar-power forum, right? So far as I can tell from this stuff, both brands are widely used in China for industrial vehicles and so forth. They tend to have good reputations even though EVE cells might be reconditioned. If this is for an EV main power, LiFePO4 cells will work fine despite the "experts" on this forum knocking them for being "larger and heavier" than equivalent Li-ion. I personally think it's not a huge difference anymore, although newer ion cell designs (4680 etc) are just starting to hit the market.

There is a LOT of stuff on the market now. Choosing can be difficult. I'd avoid the lesser "brands" as they seem to be selling only used cells, and their "quality control" is shaky.

one other thing: the price of built-up 300AH 12v battery packs with internal BMS has been plummeting recently. Trying to save a few dollars by DIYing is becoming more difficult--the cost of the raw cells is usually around the same as these assembled batteries. The solar forum has beaten this subject into the ground.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes CATL is far better inputs build quality and overall quality control, I would bet well coddled could hit 8000 if not 10000 cycles before a say 70% SoH EoL.

I would maybe get EVE if the delivered price were say 40% less, and only then for a pack I wasn't planning to pass in to my grandkids

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have read some threads on the solar-power forum, right? So far as I can tell from this stuff, both brands are widely used in China for industrial vehicles and so forth. They tend to have good reputations even though EVE cells might be reconditioned. If this is for an EV main power, LiFePO4 cells will work fine despite the "experts" on this forum knocking them for being "larger and heavier" than equivalent Li-ion. I personally think it's not a huge difference anymore, although newer ion cell designs (4680 etc) are just starting to hit the market.

There is a LOT of stuff on the market now. Choosing can be difficult. I'd avoid the lesser "brands" as they seem to be selling only used cells, and their "quality control" is shaky.

one other thing: the price of built-up 300AH 12v battery packs with internal BMS has been plummeting recently. Trying to save a few dollars by DIYing is becoming more difficult--the cost of the raw cells is usually around the same as these assembled batteries. The solar forum has beaten this subject into the ground.
Will nuked most of the threads I was following over there when he kicked Amy and Jenny off his site. That was when he nuked (deleted) most of the threads with a lot of detailed information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes CATL is far better inputs build quality and overall quality control, I would bet well coddled could hit 8000 if not 10000 cycles before a say 70% SoH EoL.
Thanks! CATL is a new brand to me with little overall discussion in reputable forums I looked at. Your vote of confidence is making me lean in that direction.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Other top notch LFP makers are Winston, CALB, GBS, Sinopoly, CATL and A123 (now Lithium Werks B.V. / LithiumWerks/ Valence (Saphion) / Super B)

All also make other chemistries, so do not just assume LFP if you come across one-off for sale, research the cell model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Other top notch LFP makers are Winston, CALB, GBS, Sinopoly, CATL and A123 (now Lithium Werks B.V. / LithiumWerks/ Valence (Saphion) / Super B)

All also make other chemistries, so do not just assume LFP if you come across one-off for sale, research the cell model.

New to the forum and early in my research. But I was wondering about LiFePo cells and was told they had to be a specific discharge rate (5c or 6c) due to high (600+ amp) demand of ev motors. The trouble is I can’t seem to find
200 to 230ah 3.2 volt EVE or CATL cells that have this discharge rate.
Thanks in advance.
Fred

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
New to the forum and early in my research. But I was wondering about LiFePo cells and was told they had to be a specific discharge rate (5c or 6c) due to high (600+ amp) demand of ev motors. The trouble is I can’t seem to find
200 to 230ah 3.2 volt EVE or CATL cells that have this discharge rate.
Thanks in advance.
Fred
They'll be fine, just wear faster.

Discharge C-rate is pretty arbitrary, subjective judgment call.

Peak rate might only be required for a few seconds. Constant rate maybe a third of that.

If you really want a lower C-rate, either set the controller to limit the draw, or use a larger capacity bank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. So for a Netgain hyper 9 or similar motor a 300 to 400 (3c or 4c) cell should suffice? The reason for the question is that the pre-packaged conversions are very expensive and the battery packs are $7-8 thousand of the cost and some of these EVE and others are coming down in price.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would build a "testing pack" at the right voltage but maybe half the size I think I need, then measure IRL to get the actual amps drawn under various conditions

If you buy smart, then worst case a lightly used pack all assembled ready to go, complete with objective test results, will sell at close to your cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts