DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I have a 1967 Triumph Spitfire which I would like to convert. Highway speeds a must, but local driving only. Range is not that important, but peppy driving preferred. Since it now has a Celica drivetrain (22R W58) I imagine keeping the 5 speed Toyota transmission and mounting to that. Curb weight 1680 lbs stock, rear wheel drive.

I am not knowledgeable about EV at all. I have minor mechanical skills and a friend who is a genius with antique British cars, a son who is an electrical engineer. I am by nature a cheap bastard (thus the Spitfire), but now I have a clutch issue and am forced to pull things apart so it got me thinking about the EV again.

Now for the question. EVSource offers kits. I would still need a coupling and mounting plate, but the rest of it seems to be there. Is this kit going to do the job and is it worth the money?

https://evsource.com/collections/72...-ah-72v-ac-conversion-kit?variant=44140677652

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice! A Spitfire is high on my list of conversion candidates.

I'm converting a Mini and I went the route of Nissan Leaf components. It's looking like a pretty efficient way to go. I paid less than $6k for a 2014 SL...If you can transport all of the needed Leaf components, that may be the only major cost (though this seems to be easier said than done). Even factoring in another $5k for aftermarket controllers, charger, and DC-DC, couplers, odds and ends (which you'd need otherwise), you'd still have waaay more torque and range than the kit you posted above. Can also recoup a couple bucks from the rest of the car...

Desired range determines a lot. The 24kW pack in a 2014 Leaf should give you about 100mi, and it weighs 400lb. Half that weight, half the range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey, glad to see another Spitfire owner looking to take the plunge on a conversion!

I converted a 1979 Spitfire to electric. It runs great, lots of power. It's definitely an-in town car as my range is between 50 and ~70 miles depending on how and where I drive it. My conversion took about 4 years start to finish.

Speed isn't a problem, I can cruise at 85mph with no problems. All of my calculations say my theoretical top speed is 129mph, but I have never gone above 85.

It is all logged in my thread is here: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/79-spitfire-conversion-108210.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts