DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Long time lurker. Hoping to build streetable med\high performance AWD CRX.

Currently in the process of selling all of my ICE\Turbo hardware to fund the build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi.

Long time lurker. Hoping to build streetable med\high performance AWD CRX.

Currently in the process of selling all of my ICE\Turbo hardware to fund the build.
Google for Arlin Sansome CRX. He's in Canada someplace and in the process of making his CRX AWD

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
94 Posts
I have a crx ED9, i love it to bits but its been off the road for 4 yyears now as it needs a lot of welding. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a broken CRV...blown engine, blown transmission. Since it's already AWD I thought maybe someday I'd get around to electrifying it. The body, frame and interior are in great shape. The previous owner took good care of the paint and interior, but not the drive train. Oh well! The idea is to lower it a bit, low profile wheels, stiffen up the suspension a lot and pull all the original drive train except the AWD parts. I don't need a transmission and a properly strong motor will probably rip that out anyway. It would be cool to have a CRV that does 0-60 in sub 5 seconds. I might go dual motor so front and back are driven separately.

I guess I would need a split pack to keep the car balanced front to back. I do NOT want to fill the hatch back with a battery pack, but where else would I put it? I guess pull the rear seats and use the back seat area for the main pack. Put a smaller pack under the hood to help balance the weight out better.

Whats your plan for the CRX? Single motor, dual motor or quad motor drive? Same problem really...where to put the battery pack?!

I guess the CRV and CRX are probably the same frame and drive train, just a different body on top of it.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I guess the CRV and CRX are probably the same frame and drive train, just a different body on top of it.
They have related drivetrain because they're both Honda.

They would have related suspension if they were of the same generation. The last CRX hatchback (such as the one eCR has) was a fifth-generation Civic complete with the double wishbone front suspension, and that chassis continued for the sixth-generation Civic and first CR-V. The seventh-generation Civic and second-generation CR-V got a completely different suspension, front and rear. So it depends on the year of CR-V. Yeah, we have a dead CRX, too.

Of course the huge difference is the enormous difference in wheelbase, and thus in space for a battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They have related drivetrain because they're both Honda.

They would have related suspension if they were of the same generation. The last CRX hatchback (such as the one eCR has) was a fifth-generation Civic complete with the double wishbone front suspension, and that chassis continued for the sixth-generation Civic and first CR-V. The seventh-generation Civic and second-generation CR-V got a completely different suspension, front and rear. So it depends on the year of CR-V. Yeah, we have a dead CRX, too.

Of course the huge difference is the enormous difference in wheelbase, and thus in space for a battery.
One thing that most cars really throw me on is where to put the battery. They usually have thin floors so hiding a pack under the floor means everyone sits with their knees in their ears. Take up the back seat and now you have no passenger space and less cargo room. You can't put the whole thing under the hood or else the car is seriously front end heavy. Trunks or hatchbacks...I need that for cargo! I did look over that CRV pretty seriously and decided agaisnt it for all the above reasons. How you do your car build will be watched with interest.

Best thing i have found so far is a pickup. The bed bolts onto a frame. Inside that frame is usually a nice big area that is low in the truck and big enough for a decent sized battery. If I still need more capacity, that's when using the engine bay sees use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not overly concerned about cargo space. I'm more concerned about weight distribution. It would be great if the car didn't feel awkward.

Also, just sold my gas engine\tranny and most of my spare parts. THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW! o_Oo_Oo_O

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I'm not overly concerned about cargo space. I'm more concerned about weight distribution. It would be great if the car didn't feel awkward.
That's understandable. Just don't put any battery modules ahead of the front axle or behind the rear axle. This is the time to say "I should have used a Civic hatchback for extra 199 mm within the wheelbase and sacrificed the rear seat"... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the time to say "I should have used a Civic hatchback for extra 199 mm within the wheelbase and sacrificed the rear seat"... ;)
meh, I'm used to dealing with weight + space constraints. :) The car previously had a 2.2L engine with an intercooled turbo.

Also, I believe it's a federal crime to give up a CRX for a Civic. :p I'll make it work.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
meh, I'm used to dealing with weight + space constraints. :) The car previously had a 2.2L engine with an intercooled turbo.
But the 2.2L is nearly the same size and shape as the original engine, going in the original location. The battery challenge is another thing entirely, more like installing an additional engine than doing an engine swap.

Also, I believe it's a federal crime to give up a CRX for a Civic. :p I'll make it work.
:D

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
196 Posts
Super cool project. Are you planning on using CRV-type 4WD with electric motor up front or two electric motors or some other scheme? Should be great no matter what. I love little Hondas can't get enough of them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My first thought was honda based awd but im not a fan of the extra weight associated with awd. About the only thing I'm certain about is that i do NOT want fwd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drove 8 hours away and picked up a 2019 leaf motor, inverter, PDM and wiring - 15k km!

Also snagged a Honda K series CR-V AWD transmission on the way back.

Time to start posting newb questions throughout the forum. 😵 :p

·
Registered
573 Posts
Why AWD? Plowing snow?

Don't need it for 4+ sec 0-60 on street tires.

Ditch it, put a Tesla SDU up front (in back will F up the balance of the car), batteries in the tunnel and rear seat area. Transmission takes up too much space & weight.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My first thought was honda based awd but im not a fan of the extra weight associated with awd. About the only thing I'm certain about is that i do NOT want fwd.
If you insist on no FWD, then SDU in back, batteries in tunnel & engine compartment. Again, no AWD, no transmission...no room, too heavy.

When you say "leaf motor" - do you mean drive unit? The correct answer is yes, since that can work in place of my sdu suggestion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts