DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Terry from Pittsburgh PA and I created Exotruck a couple years ago. It's popularity took off, I recently lost my job due to Covid19 and now I am build Exotruck chassis's. It's a Subaru base kit, but I'm hoping to add an Electric option. As of today, the EV West 818 conversion kit is what I'm looking at, but hoping to learn how to put something together myself. I also don't know if the AC-50 motor will live up to Exotruck performance expectations. However, I need to keep cost in mind. The kits meant to be an easy to drive errand mobile.
The EVexo prototype will be powder coated Electric Pink and test driven by my wife

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I wouldn't have guessed it, but "Exotruck" seems to be a unique name - a Google search for just that comes up with only relevant forum discussions and the right Instagram page. :) To anyone else wondering what the original Exotruck is all about, I suggest that search and some reading... there's lots of good stuff to be found.

You're probably already doing this, but you might want to talk to people who have built kits (with engines or as EVs) about what they want to find in a kit. For instance, not having to design huge numbers of details themselves and having usable documentation will probably both be high on the list. Buying just a frame with a promise that Subaru bits will fit would be a daunting prospect for most potential builders.

As for the EV aspect... I realize that this vehicle started with the desire to use a Subaru Forester, but there's not much reason to use any of a gas-engine car's powertrain in a vehicle built from the beginning as an EV. I suggest seriously considering using only the Subaru suspension in the EV version, rather than using the Subaru transaxle and driveline.

I don't know what your performance expectations are for the EVexo, but if they are anything like the performance of the Subaru-powered Exotruck the AC-50 would be very disappointing.

So welcome to DIY Electric Car... and please consider starting threads in the appropriate sections for design discussions and the build.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd second Brian's advice... AC-50 is not a bad piece of kit but there are far more powerful motors around.
A Hyper-9 might be a little better. But I see you've got 450whp - the Hyper9 only does ~88kw.

For much better power you could use a pair of Leaf motors - one front and one rear. With the stock inverter (only requiring a VCU) they max out at ~110hp apiece - but that's a good 110hp and will pull very hard.

If you want the best performance, grab a pair of Tesla drive units. The small ones push 300hp apiece, that should be enough to make anyone happy (I don't want to know what 2 of those would look like in a ~2500lb kart). LSD kits are available, $1400 per or so.

Or a single large Tesla unit with a special gear set so that it can split front/rear (4.5:1 ratio to run to the diffs, might want 3:1 or even 2:1 for top speed).

You've got choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The electric builds not meant for performance, just an acceptable level of zoom for around town. I'm pretty much settled on a Hyper9 with 7 Tesla packs for 168v. The same AC50 adapter will fit the Hyper9. This kit should also get me 120 or so mile range and is around my 20k budget.

My performance model is still my flex fuel version. It's actually halfway through a motor build to get me almost 700hp

·
Registered
152 Posts
Okay cool. Hyper9 should be plenty of zoom then, and the easily available adapters are a good bonus.
700hp? Goodness. Still on the 2 liter engine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts