DIY Electric Car Forums banner

extra battery pack

1991 2
OK...new on the forum....getting acquainted...

I have a Saturn EV coversion. Will be using a 120 volt pack in the vehicle. I want to build a range extender with 8 more 12 volt batteries, a small generator and my Russco charger. Where do I start. I am thinking a single wheel (centered) tow behind, possibly with a DC generator in the hub for more juice. If I can get another 10-15 miles after battery pack A. is way down I can make it to work! I have a few hills to deal with so kicking in the extra pack might help. How would you fit the extra 96 volts into the schematic? I am new at this but not at tinkering!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Welcome!

There are plenty of people who have talked about trailer range extenders, probably only a few who have done them. Just search for them.

Unless your controller can handle 220V, your only real option to add 96 to your 120V is to make a switch that selects between the packs, so you run one then the other. It would make more sense if you just added 120V so you could run them in parallel and use the same charger for all of 'em and have double the battery power all the time instead of 20% less some of the time.

For just an extra 10-15 miles another option is to run a lithium booster pack like I am.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the response. I think you are right about the 120 volt range extension pack, make it match....I really don't have to add too much mileage but getting up a few hills is going to nail me. So a full charge heading out , and a little extra to make sure I make it back and the ability to charge a second pack while at work if necessary..... that would be the goal at this point. I have lots of motorcycle parts so making a light trailer without a lot of drag is the idea. It's all new to me but the EV crowd is my kinda folks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.