DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Fatal Flaw? Electric Cars and Snowstorms?

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  unclematt 
#1 ·
Audrey Jones offers conservative Heritage Foundation critique of Obama Administration's support for battery electric cars.

More...

#9 ·
Let them pay through the nose for oil and keep their taliban fueled car. I'll take my chances with electric. It's only a matter time until we have batteries far better than we have now. I happen to agree with the government subsidies of electric vehicles. You will too when you can't afford to buy oil based fuel, your company is getting crushed because of fuel costs and every thing everyone buys goes up in price along with fuel because of the price of oil. It's coming sooner than most think. And the sad thing is, most people are CLUELESS that the worlds oil supplies are being used up faster than we're finding new sources and that new sources that are found are very hard to get, ie BP's deep water drilling, shale deposits etc.

Enough of the ranting. I just can't believe so many people are so uninformed, especially republicans. And I'm far from a liberal.

#10 ·
I agree with getting the electric car, but you might wish to re-think who it is that is un-informed (or, more precisely, mis-informed). The hardest thing to do is to acknowledge when you have been scammed.

The problem is, no matter how great a ponzi scheme sounds it is still a scam. Free-market people are not the ones uninformed and it is precisely because some people THINK they "know more" that such misinformation persists.

Subsidies ALWAYS cost us MORE in reality than letting the free market handle it. Why? Simple. It adds one or more useless re-distributive steps/layers to the economic process that do not ADD value - therefore, it is simply waste / inefficiency at best and gross corruption at worst.

Every attempt by politicians to convince you otherwise is a scam, intended to fool you into voting for them. With the exception of some VERY short term crisis intervention (e.g. food after a disaster), it has never produced a net positive effect in history and never will. It can't, any more than Perpetual Motion can power your car.

#11 ·
Free market is riding the bus over the cliff.

Gov. intervention is your wife telling you to slow down before the cliff.
You may not like it, but it is good advice.

Plenty of people die in blizzards when their car runs out of gas (or when snow builds up and traps the carbon monoxide). How is that different than a battery running down? Bottom line: CARRY A SLEEPING BAG PEOPLE!

A subsidy is a subsidy even if you call it "research". They don't give me a tax refund to "research" what I am already being paid to do. Also, isn't the bush tax break for folks who bought gas guzzlers really a petroleum subsidy? What about the lagging mpg standards? again, a giveaway. Detroit has well proven that they could make 70+mpg cars 20 years ago. (another subsidy called PNGV -look it up)

To those who say subsidies always cost more, imagine if Carter had been re-elected and the U.S. had gone crazy for "subsidized" solar panels and electric cars. The Iraq war has currently cost $772,494,064,662!! Thats a LOT of solar panels and batteries my friend.

#14 ·
I don't think most people get it yet.

The comparison in the future will not be EV's versus ICE's. It will be EV's versus walking.

The oil era is coming to an end. My forty mile range EV gets me to work, gets me to the grocery store, and gets me to the girl friends. If I have to go further, it gets me to the park and ride. I am a happy guy.

#16 ·
So oil gets to right off investment losses and depreciation of assets like every other business?, that is not a subsidy.

Aside from that where is the money going to come from to replace the road fuel tax every state and the fed receives from this mystery 1 million EV's. Where is the fed going to get their 1/6 royalty form every barrel of oil produced on federal lands and off shore? We are talking several hundred billion dollars every year oil pays the government, the single largest income the government has. The government will never do with less.

#17 ·
..where is the money going to come from to replace the road fuel tax every state and the fed receives? We are talking several hundred billion dollars every year, the single largest income the government has.
THIS is why no gov. has substantially decreased fuel consumption.

However, it is a very silly question because WE the people pay that money PLUS the hundreds of BILLIONS in profit for the oiligarchy.

It would be MUCH CHEAPER to just pay the road tax without the extra billions in profit and the trillions in WAR spending.

Their propaganda has you thinking you need them... You don't.

#22 ·
O.K. as a fiscal conservative I have to call bullshlitz here.

First, the only people who will have battery degrading performance in cold weather are the lead acid people.

Second, obviously the author of this article has never heard of anybody dieing in an I.C.E. car from carbon monoxide poisoning. Why do you think people have blankets in their trunk for winter use? Sitting in a snow storm in a regular car idling is a stupid thing to do. All you need to do is forget to go outside to clear out your tailpipe and poof, instant carbon monoxide poisoning.

Third, here in Ohio we have snow emergency levels. If they make it a level three, the cops can ticket us for even being out on the road. The blizzard they are talking about would easily have a level three rating.

Besides, a 1500 watt heater in an electric car with only a 15kwh battery pack would run the heat for 10 hours. If you cycled it on and off at 50% duty you would have 20 hours. How long were they planning on spending stuck in traffic anyways.:confused:

#25 ·
No oil subsidies???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In 2007 GW met with oil officials behind closed doors to craft GW's last "energy bill". In it Exxon got 10 BILLION in tax credits. And how did they thank our country for all that corporate welfare? They got rid of over 26,000 good paying, domestic jobs for Americans. AND raised gas prices to over $4 a gallon...
AND failed to properly maintain their infrastructure, which subsequently caused spills and shortages of oil.

So cry me a river about how Big Oil is somehow NOT getting subsidized!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.