DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm starting a new project. It is a 1996 Daihatsu Feroza (Rocky in some countries). I originally bought this car as an ICE project but a TV program staring an electric drag car appealed to both my "green" side and the desire to make the car go fast, at least faster than with the little 70kW 1.6L ICE engine. A little further digging and I was sold. My research has led me to the following design options;
  • Battery pack - 1P48S, 200Ah LiFePO4 ~30kWh
  • 4 PMAC motors (Likely a water cooled version of this)
  • 4 Single speed reducers 6.5:1 Ratio
  • 4 sinusoidal ~144V 400A controllers (water cooled)
  • Tc Charger CAN 6.6kW
Challenges
Conversion from rigid axle to independent rear suspension,
Speedo without a gearbox (local regulations do not permit a GPS Speedo),
Mating motor and speed reducer to the axles,
Learning about electronics, CAN and creating PCBs, and
Staying focused for the 2+ years that I will likely need.

Anywho, I will be posting the progress of this build here but in the meantime, here are some pictures of my baby girl :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Challenges
Speedo without a gearbox (local regulations do not permit a GPS Speedo),
That one is relatively easy. There are aftermarket electronic speedometers which just need a sensor picking up pulses from a rotating shaft, which can be one of the axle shafts, a motor, or even the intermediate shaft in one of the gear reduction boxes; the pulses can result from placing the pickup near a gear, so you don't even need to add a toothed wheel for the sensor. It doesn't matter if the reduction gearboxes don't have a traditional speedometer drive gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Brian, I was thinking of something like that. I want to keep the original speedo, so the current idea is to use a pulse sensor signal fed to an Arduino, which in turn controls the speed of a little motor that spins the speedo. Another idea is to use the pulses to drive a tachometer (I have a second one in a doner car) and fit it behind the speedo display.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I want to keep the original speedo, so the current idea is to use a pulse sensor signal fed to an Arduino, which in turn controls the speed of a little motor that spins the speedo.
That should work :) I think there are commercial products that do the same thing.

Another idea is to use the pulses to drive a tachometer (I have a second one in a doner car) and fit it behind the speedo display.
Unfortunately tachs don't have much calibration flexibility (they are generally expecting only 2, 3, or 4 pulses per revolution, for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders), but other than that it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts