DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a 1987 Fiero and an Avenger GT kit car (Ford GT40 replica) a few months back. The kit was mounted to a 60s era VW bug. I have since stripped it off the bug and am in the process of mating it to the Fiero. Should have this done in the upcoming weeks.

I want to turn the kit car into a track car/road car. Was planning on throwing a SBC into it, but now would like to explore the electric motor option. Don't know where to begin. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

R/S

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Looks cute.

What did you want for advice?

Generally, lay out your performance hopes and your budget and someone can steer you towards what you might want to do.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Given that the kit isn't even intended to fit a Fiero, that's a substantial project. I see that the entire roof has been cut off of the Fiero spaceframe... please confirm that you will be building a race-worthy roll cage structure to restore structural integrity.

The only design assumption that seems safe is that it will be rear wheel drive, although use of the stock suspension configuration seems likely, since without that there was no point in using any of the Fiero.

"Track car / road car" is a good start on defining requirements. Next, to get an idea of required power, one question is whether the goal is stock Fiero performance, or 300 - 400 hp track car performance (as the SBC might have delivered), or something else. That gives an idea of how much power the battery needs to supply, but for total energy storage you also need to define a duration: a dragstrip run? a couple of hot laps? 10 minutes of lapping? a half-hour session?

Realistically, racing performance for more than a few minutes will need a battery pack larger than the car can accomodate or most builders could afford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

Yes, I will be building a roll cage. Right now, just cutting down the body to fit the GT40 kit.

Yes, the car will be mid-engine rear wheel drive.

I was shooting for 300 HP and need the car to be able to keep optimum performance for 30 minutes. My budget is 10k perhaps more if I can piece meal things such as adding to battery-life as the car progresses.

I just wanted to know if a 10k budget is even possible for what I'm asking.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I was shooting for 300 HP and need the car to be able to keep optimum performance for 30 minutes.
So, 250 kW (allowing for some inefficiency) for half an hour, or 125 kWh... more than any current production EV. Assume full power only half the time (for real track conditions), but allow for some reserve, and you've got a full Tesla Model S/X pack, or similar.

My budget is 10k perhaps more if I can piece meal things such as adding to battery-life as the car progresses.

I just wanted to know if a 10k budget is even possible for what I'm asking.
I don't think it is likely to be possible; some moderating of expectations might be appropriate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts