DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips for getting hold of a written off Leaf, before the car dismantlers do?

Leaf batteries and motor-drivetrains, from a salvage yard, seem to cost more or less the same as a working 2011-12 Leaf...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in the same boat - I'm looking for a Leaf battery pack - but at £3600-£3900, that's a lot compared to the cost of a complete car at that age and mileage.

Wrecks are still expensive unfortunately - I'd usually say Copart and local dismantlers/breakers yards - but that's still a good amount of money, and then you still have to deal with the rest of the car & the dismantling. If I had the space and time, I'd buy a wreck, part it out and sell the bits to get the pack to sort of pay for itself - but it's a lot of work for someone that doesn't do it for a living.

I'm gonna keep a close eye here to see if anyone has any good tips - sorry I didn't :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat - I'm looking for a Leaf battery pack - but at £3600-£3900, that's a lot compared to the cost of a complete car at that age and mileage.

Wrecks are still expensive unfortunately - I'd usually say Copart and local dismantlers/breakers yards - but that's still a good amount of money, and then you still have to deal with the rest of the car & the dismantling. If I had the space and time, I'd buy a wreck, part it out and sell the bits to get the pack to sort of pay for itself - but it's a lot of work for someone that doesn't do it for a living.

I'm gonna keep a close eye here to see if anyone has any good tips - sorry I didn't :(
Ha! We'll both be on the hunt then! I'm in Dorset.

2011 cars go for £5000-£6000. Batteries £3500, Motor assemblies minus looms and all the ancillaries go for £1500, so clearly good money to be made, if you can track down a write off.

Copart has one that has only 850 miles on, currently at £8500. (Imagine writing off your car after 850 miles!)

It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Seems a shame to buy a fully working car, just for the key drive parts, but if that's the most economical way to do it....

I doubt that shipping from the US is viable, but I haven't looked into that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was going to abandon the idea of using a Leaf battery as I had found a local supplier of decent modules (ones from the Mercedes B-class Electric), but they won't fit in the car I want to convert, so it's back to the internet to find the most cost effective way of getting a Leaf pack again!

It's worth keeping an eye out for bits though - though I'd think the way you plan to do it, parting out a whole car seems more well-suited. Just found another Leaf pack on Ebay for £2650, 2011 /w 35000 miles - unknown battery health - but I'm going to ring them on Monday morning and find out...

·
Registered
102 Posts
We are interested. Let us know if you have any parts to spare at reasonable prices. Plenty of interest around I would bet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depending on the category of write off you may not be able to buy a written off leaf from Copart, although some branches will allow you to dismantle it on site for a fee. Talking of fee's don't forget to take them into account - there are tiered fee's on the final bid price, there's also a bidding fee and £15 loading fee, it adds up quite quickly - I won a car just this week for £550, but fee's added another £168!

You can also go and view the car prior to bidding, but you have to be a member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts