DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 13 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is the wrong place for queries like this.

How do people deal with registering their EV conversions when they exceed the OEMs specified Gross Vehicle Weight?
In the UK i'd be illegal if i took on any 'load' above that weight in normal circumstances, so i figure this is no different to fixed loads like battery packs.
And it seems almost inevitable to increase the weight of the car if going for anything like usable range.

I appreciate this may vary country to country, as i know the States don't have a yearly road safety check (MOT) like we do for example

Thanks

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I posted a week or so ago about doing a 4x4, which is a farm/work vehicle.
But I'm also toying with a small family car or maybe even a fun little two seater sporty thing. The latter two are obviously just personal vehicles. The former is technically a business vehicle and certainly would be used for towing, where I have to be mindful of gross train weight. So maybe I'll forget the 4x4 and steer towards a car then.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do people deal with it? I'm sure i've seen plenty of builds where the end result is hundreds of kilos over the original.
That said, either they may have been in other countries or the Max Gross Weight was sufficiently high to not worry....OR they didn't even consider it, it's not checked during an MOT and no-one has yet been pulled over and weighed.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that you will find that this is now a non problem

Back in the lead age - it was a major issue

Today - not so much - as a general rule if you take out all of the dinosaur stuff and replace it with electric you lose a lot of weight
Adding batteries gets you to zero at about 60 miles range - and it's difficult to find the space for much more
Another 60 miles range is about the same weight as two passengers
Thanks for that, useful to know

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My big issue with the 4x4 conversion is further reducing my towing capacity, but after a brief thought I realise I could just take my 'towing' licence and get access to a higher towing capacity anyway. I rarely take any load inside the vehicle, so I can use most of max gross vehicle weight for conversion.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about removing the rear seats?
Make it obvious (to whoever inspects the car) that you've eliminated the potential payload of 160kg of human cargo.
Well yes, the 4x4 has those removed currently already. Any car that i converted would really want the seats though.
I've started up a spreadsheet to compare my growing list of possible donor cars and their curb and max gross weights

1 - 6 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.