DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, its been a while since last time I was here, I'm looking to make my first EV convertion, I have a vw gol that weights about 930kg as it is. Taking out the engine, exhaust pipes, fueltank and some other stuff, it should weight about 200kg less. So the starting point is about 730kg leaving the radiator for cooling, gearbox, and all the drive train with all the brake system. This is a very analogic car so it has no AC, no powersteering, all it needs its some vacuum for the brakes.

I have tried to use the EV calculator but it seems you have to know what battery pack and motor you are planing to use, due to where I live, the motors I can purchase are limited to whats available, I can't import parts from the US over 200 dollars or the taxes skyrocket, paying sometimes over 2 or 3 times the actualy price of the part.

I have two options, a 72v or a 96v pack. Seems that I should go for the 96v convertion for the weight of my car.

This is the kit sold where I live, seems to be all chinese parts, barely any information given besides its a AC50 for 96v. For what I read in the forum I could us a 144v and other motor to fit my objective, but since this is what's available there's not much to decide really.

I waited tilll finishing the electric course on my college, I'm a industrial and mechanical engineering student. I can manage to do wiring, stainless, steel and aluminium welding, have a few fabrication tools too. Welding table, endess saw, tig welder, etc. Also I'm in the process or reviving an old bridgeport round ram to machine parts inhouse too.

Any opinions are well recived, for the battery pack they already a 96v 150Ah pack for about 90-140km of range per charge. This is enought for my daily as I might do aroun 70-80km a day in traffic. With time if possible I would like to add another pack to be able to travel to see family in the country side about 250km away, maybe with 2 packs I could get there if I don't go too fast.

The car is FWD with a longitudinal front engine, there enought space for some batteries under the hood, but for what I have measured I might be able to adapt the rear to fit 2 packs there and that should be enought for the future expansion. The only proble is addint too much weight at the back, since I'm only taking about 70kg away from the rear, and about 130kg on the front.

The gear ratio is very "long" as in 4,11 diff - 1st 3,45 - 2nd 1,79 - 3rd 1,13 - 4th 0,083 - 5th 0,68, this should make it easier to find a "high speed" of about 110-120 wtihout reaching higher RPM, about 2800rpm on 5th is enough for highway cruising.

Conversion should be about 6000 usd without the battery pack, I have to contact the company that sells the convertion kits, they also have a course on doing converstions I can't miss to make my life easier. Since all the parts are already proven to be compatible, most of the work is going to be fabrication, wiring and assembly.

picture of the vw gol when it was launched, not the most aerodinamic car to be honest, but parts are widely available, and cheap.

cheers

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
The Gol is an interesting choice. Most people in North America and Europe are not familiar with this model, but it was sold in North America as the VW Fox (but with a larger engine than the Gol, and not in that 2-door hatchback version), and is similar to some other VW/Audi models.

This looks like it should work, but the voltage is low.

This is the kit sold where I live, seems to be all chinese parts, barely any information given besides its a AC50 for 96v. For what I read in the forum I could us a 144v and other motor to fit my objective, but since this is what's available there's not much to decide really.
Most people in this forum would probably be familiar with the AC 50 motor from HPEVS, which is reportedly built in the USA; however, the photo appears to show a different motor from China... and that's not a problem. Yes, all of the electronics will be made in China, as they would be from any supplier.

It's unfortunate that there are no useful specifications provided for the motor, although if anyone can read Chinese there might be something in the Enpower video on the AutoLibreElectrico product page.

With a maximum current of 500 amps at 96 volts, this might produce 40 kW at peak, but only at one specific motor speed.

Any opinions are well recived, for the battery pack they already a 96v 150Ah pack for about 90-140km of range per charge. This is enought for my daily as I might do aroun 70-80km a day in traffic. With time if possible I would like to add another pack to be able to travel to see family in the country side about 250km away, maybe with 2 packs I could get there if I don't go too fast.
150 Ah at 96 volts is nominally 14.4 kWh, which is the about the capacity of a common plug-in hybrid and many home conversions - they don't go 140 km on a charge. 90 km on 14.4 kWh implies 16 kW/h per 100 km (or 160 Wh/km or 257 Wh/mile), which seems reasonable to me. 140 km on 14.4 kWh implies 10.3 kW/h per 100 km (or 103 Wh/km or 166 Wh/mile), which seems very optimistic to me, even at moderate speed.

The car is FWD with a longitudinal front engine, there enought space for some batteries under the hood, but for what I have measured I might be able to adapt the rear to fit 2 packs there and that should be enought for the future expansion. The only proble is addint too much weight at the back, since I'm only taking about 70kg away from the rear, and about 130kg on the front.
This is also an issue with regular production EVs. Even with the battery under the floor, it is closer to the rear than to the front, and it shifts weight distribution rearward more than is desirable with front wheel drive. In cars such as the Nissan Leaf and VW e-Golf the spare tire is omitted and there is no storage compartment under the trunk floor, just to keep the rear axle load down.

As long as the axle loads are kept within the stock car's limits, a significant shift to the rear can reasonably be tolerated, although it means that passenger and cargo carrying capacity is reduced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gol is an interesting choice. Most people in North America and Europe are not familiar with this model, but it was sold in North America as the VW Fox (but with a larger engine than the Gol, and not in that 2-door hatchback version), and is similar to some other VW/Audi models.
The gol actually came in 1000cc 1300cc 1500cc 1600cc 1800cc and 2000cc with a 16v head version, same as the golf gti, what you guys call fox, we called amazon, voyage or senda, its based on the gol model, the best version of the "fox" here was the voyage ls being 1800cc, I'm kinda of a vw gol/similars mk1 fan

This looks like it should work, but the voltage is low.

Most people in this forum would probably be familiar with the AC 50 motor from HPEVS, which is reportedly built in the USA; however, the photo appears to show a different motor from China... and that's not a problem. Yes, all of the electronics will be made in China, as they would be from any supplier.

It's unfortunate that there are no useful specifications provided for the motor, although if anyone can read Chinese there might be something in the Enpower video on the AutoLibreElectrico product page.

With a maximum current of 500 amps at 96 volts, this might produce 40 kW at peak, but only at one specific motor speed.
I understand its not the best option, but its whats available, maybe in the future I can jump to a 144v using the same motor, there is no information like you said translated to either, english, spanish or portuguese wich could make it readable for me. Maybe the solution is to write them an email and cross my fingers.

150 Ah at 96 volts is nominally 14.4 kWh, which is the about the capacity of a common plug-in hybrid and many home conversions - they don't go 140 km on a charge. 90 km on 14.4 kWh implies 16 kW/h per 100 km (or 160 Wh/km or 257 Wh/mile), which seems reasonable to me. 140 km on 14.4 kWh implies 10.3 kW/h per 100 km (or 103 Wh/km or 166 Wh/mile), which seems very optimistic to me, even at moderate speed.
I did the math and wasn't happy at all with the numbers, the car won't have too much range or top speed, they list 130km/h or 80ish mph,wich I seriously doubt, also this is far away from the actual capabilities of the car, wich has a modified turbo charge engine. But the future is the future, best is to accept combustion engines are the past, and move on. With time I will be able to get it to go as fast as I can with whats available. But babby steps is the best move for me since I can't afford purchasing the wrongs parts or leave out of the parts list stuff that will hit the final cost.

This is also an issue with regular production EVs. Even with the battery under the floor, it is closer to the rear than to the front, and it shifts weight distribution rearward more than is desirable with front wheel drive. In cars such as the Nissan Leaf and VW e-Golf the spare tire is omitted and there is no storage compartment under the trunk floor, just to keep the rear axle load down.

As long as the axle loads are kept within the stock car's limits, a significant shift to the rear can reasonably be tolerated, although it means that passenger and cargo carrying capacity is reduced.
From youtube videos I seen the battery lithium pack they are selling now, I could fit one in the fron with the engine, annd maybe two at the back. But since I can only buy one pack to start off, maybe I will place it in the front first, and sometime in the future modify the rear to fit another 2 packs. That will keep 100% of the weight in the front where the car was desing to carry it.

I also read that brakes need to be modified, I already did that because it was a cheap modification to carry out compared to the conversion so I did what I can before starting. I have a few radiators saved up to modify for the cooling system, wich I have seen things from air cooled, to oil cooled if I'm correct, maybe there are more options I don't know about, I still have much to read and plan for

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
The battery packs from AutoLibreElectrico are quite large, because each one is intended to be the whole battery for the car. It's hard to fit one - especially the larger 96 V version - under the hood of something like a Gol with a motor and transaxle in there as well. If you can get more technical information, perhaps you can run the system at 144 volts, using two of the 72 volt packs, with one under the hood and one in the back, connected in series?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery packs from AutoLibreElectrico are quite large, because each one is intended to be the whole battery for the car. It's hard to fit one - especially the larger 96 V version - under the hood of something like a Gol with a motor and transaxle in there as well. If you can get more technical information, perhaps you can run the system at 144 volts, using two of the 72 volt packs, with one under the hood and one in the back, connected in series?
I like what you suggest, running 2x 72v packs, I will ask autolibre in the training I would like to attend this year hopefully, maybe the motor can handle the extra power, that would be a great solution thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts