DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought my donor car. It's a 2002 Saturn SL1 with 220,000 miles and a rough engine, however it still runs. The price was $900 which was OK I think? I have been looking for ages on Craigslist for the right car and toyed with all sort of cars. In the end I went with what was available and what I could afford.
I have also bought on Ebay a used Advanced FB1-4001A DC motor which was removed from a EV ranger for $511, the seller also had the controller, a CURTIS PMC model 1231C-8601, voltage 96-144, current 500 A, so I am getting both for $1050. I am driving to Pittsburgh today to pick them up.
I am thinking of doing a conversion like
Daniel Lynn's car:-

http://evalbum.com/2169

I am presently stuck on batteries?
:confused: However I think getting the engine out of the old car and fixing the motor is going to be challenge enough to start with.
Like the Chinese say "a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step" well I have made my first step!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Nice. a Saturn was my choice too for a family type daily driver. I drove one for 10 years in ICE form. liked it too. It was light weight, rode well, easy to see around and to park.

LOTS of interior room for passengers and trunk/hood space for batteries.

I am on my 3 rd EV. I finally broke with the FLA batteries and bought some CALBs.

FLA batteries are good for your first EV. no matter what everyone sez. I know...

Battery Rule 1. Floodies (as we call them) require monthly cleaning, bolt checking and 1-2 Gal. distilled water. (Faithfully)

Rule 2. A string of 12 volt batteries are ok for 10-20 mile range....BUT a string of 6 Volt golf cart batteries are good for up to maybe 40-50 miles. (per charge)

Rule 3. Do NOT get the ones with the steel threaded posts set into the lead.....They are rated 75 Amps and you will melt them off....

Get the Bolt through lead posts or the regular tapered round posts.

Well, enough for now. Have fun. Miz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looks like a good start. I am also working on an "ordinary guy" saturn conversion. I have a '96 SL2 that i have managed to get to the drive testing stage, but i have alot of work to do, including selecting batteries. I have been using the following site to try to figure out which ones might work best for me (my budget only allows lead acid).
www.evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/
Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts