DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting with an 86 (I believe) Dodge Daytona 5 speed.. I'm not planning on keeping the clutch unless someone convinces me otherwise. The motor I plan to use is the 6.7" Advanced DC #X91-4001 from http://www.evparts.com/zoom.php?&item_id=1051 (if anyone knows where I could get this or a similar motor for less, please tell me) Is this a good motor to use? Will it have enough power to go 60mph? I plan on using 10 12v deep cycle Interstate batteries connected in series, and I'm not sure on what controller and pot box I'm going to use (suggestions, please!). I will have one accessory battery rather than a dc/dc convertor. I don't plan on having power steering or air conditioning. How do I connect the motor driveshaft to the transmission?

Thank you,
Kyle

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a first timer also and am into setting up my VW tray with a custom made fibreglass sport body.

I will be using a netgain impulse 9" dc motor but i am interested in using a fifth wheel with a generator attached which will provide braking and regen.

Possibly hydraulic/ mechanical similar to what someone else on the net did to drive a ice and recent tow behind generator.

Difference being that the wheel driving would not be in contact with ground until brakes applied.

Got any ideas

·
Registered
43 Posts
That daytona should make a pretty cool ev! The main reason I see for keeping the clutch is to simplify the install of your motor. The clutch is already designed to fit on the tranny shaft and the flywheel is already designed to bolt to the engines crankshaft. The easiest way I know to adapt an electric motor to a flywheel is to buy a coupler made for your motors shaft diameter. Machine the mating surface flat and drill and tap it to match the flywheel bolt pattern. With this you can slip the newly machined coupler on your motors output shaft, secure it, and bolt your flywheel to it. Then just bolt everything in like normal with a motor to tranny adapter plate. A 6.7" motor may not have the tourque you will want. You may want to check out an 8 or 9 incher. If price is a factor, you could look into a used forklift motor. Check out the " Using a forklift motor, and choosing a good one" thread in the technical discussion section. Good luck!

-John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts