DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this resdave...new here so ill set the stage for what im into and guys can tell me if im in the right area for my ideas. how many on here will be upset that I've taken a 2010 karma and swapped electric out for twin turbo ls3?...on the upside I've kept the factory interior in tact and the electric braking, parking pawl, and even kept the push button shifting functional...even turned mode buttons on sides of steering wheel into paddle shifters...so i may still have pertinent randomness to share. Ive also been playing with the trw electric power steering pumps and am currently working on getting it fully functional so some correspondence there would be nice as well. In general im a tinkerer so hello to those of you who are open minded and love to build cool stuff!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
resdave, you probably didn't get any response earlier because members of a DIY electric vehicle forum were not interested in a project which destroys an EV, rather than creating one.

I am curious about the fuel economy and performance effect of replacing a series hybrid system with a conventional engine. The Karma has attracted a lot of flak - I think well-deserved - for its poor efficiency when using gasoline (20 miles per US gallon); it is worse than a reasonable gasoline pickup truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get the wiring harness from a car that has the same things as that car in the same places(chevy cruze) . It being a gm should make that easy , it uses gm parts . And yes , only Ford gets capital letters . I do like that it has the reliablity of a ls in it now . But why didn't you get a Scoot Drive controller and use those under powered monster electric motors .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As well as the update and pics what did you do with the good bits you took out!
there all for sale or trade...as of right now i need a steering rack hard line. (cracked one some how)...gas engine is going into an s10 but drive motors and battery along with whatever i still have is up for grabs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
resdave, you probably didn't get any response earlier because members of a DIY electric vehicle forum were not interested in a project which destroys an EV, rather than creating one.

I am curious about the fuel economy and performance effect of replacing a series hybrid system with a conventional engine. The Karma has attracted a lot of flak - I think well-deserved - for its poor efficiency when using gasoline (20 miles per US gallon); it is worse than a reasonable gasoline pickup truck.
yea..i get that for the purists its different in the way of thinking...but with all the turmoil of the company keeping them on the road is difficult and expensive...i look at it as a way to keep a beautiful car on the road with whats currently easy to get parts, fun, and reliable...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been working on the car but been bizzy with other projects as well....fisker is alive and moving under its own power (got the push button shifter working with 6 speed) and a custom engine tune is being created for it as i update you few who were actually interested..lol...as of now i am in need of the steering racks hard lines...anyone got a rack that doesnt work lemmie get them lines!..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts