DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Chevrolet S10Electric Own a piece of History!PRICE REDUCED TO $8K, OBO. This truck is one of only about 35 left! Built by GM in 97 & 98 and never sold to the public. It has the EV1 drive system in it. (Front Wheel Drive). Driver's air bag, A/C, Cruise control and AM/FM Stereo. 26 Discovery EV34A, (65 AH), batteries (installed 1/17). Everything works, new Fuel Fired Heater, New Tiger Paw LRR tires. The bed tilts and the battery box has been modified to fit all 26 batteries and allow access to the batteries without dropping the box. Zener Diode Regulators on all batteries to prevent over-charging. 18 K miles on the truck, ( 1700 miles on batteries). Added Power windows, Remote power door locks and Truxedo Tonneau cover. Large stand up Gen 1, 220 V charger, and 110 V Convenience charger. (also a Gen 1 and Gen 2, 220 V not working wall mounted chargers for parts.) Tech 2 with case and full set of service manuals included with the truck. Original range was 60 miles but I never went over 36 miles. $8K OBO. This truck is running and available for test drive.Thanks, Kevin McMullin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about the re posting of this ad. It was confusing and I tried to fix it from an old post but I can't delete the old one.
Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have posted this on eBay. It comes up tomorrow at 7 am. 8/20. I'll tell the people of this forum that my reserve is half of my asking price. Go for it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool! Did a museum in Germany buy it or a private citizen?

I just purchased a 1997 myself with dead ozonic batteries. Do you have have any pics of the tilt bed+custom battery box that I can see? looking for some inspiration to make this thing last into the next 23 years...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! Yes, I bought these trucks. Private buy, but maybe they will find their way in a museum some day.
Very cool! Did a museum in Germany buy it or a private citizen?

I just purchased a 1997 myself with dead ozonic batteries. Do you have have any pics of the tilt bed+custom battery box that I can see? looking for some inspiration to make this thing last into the next 23 years...
So the S10 from bjnkm2 was in a good working conditon (except dead battery, fully discharged during transport). I swapped the lead acid batterys for 120Ah BMW i3 Modules (ca. 42kWh). The truck is now 200kg lighter and is doing 100+ miles per charge. Acceleration improved to 7.2s for 0-50mph. I can create a thread about the truck and upload some pictures. Might take a day or two!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi! Yes, I bought these trucks. Private buy, but maybe they will find their way in a museum some day.

So the S10 from bjnkm2 was in a good working conditon (except dead battery, fully discharged during transport). I swapped the lead acid batterys for 120Ah BMW i3 Modules (ca. 42kWh). The truck is now 200kg lighter and is doing 100+ miles per charge. Acceleration improved to 7.2s for 0-50mph. I can create a thread about the truck and upload some pictures. Might take a day or two!
That is awesome! Yes - please create a thread. I am interested in knowing the following:

1) Are you using a separate BMS?
2) Are you still using the MagneCharge or are you using a separate charger for the new batteries?

Best,
Billy

·
Registered
7 Posts

Also be sure to share the story with the S10 EV Mailing List ---> https://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/s10-ev

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is awesome! Yes - please create a thread. I am interested in knowing the following:

1) Are you using a separate BMS?
2) Are you still using the MagneCharge or are you using a separate charger for the new batteries?

Best,
Billy
I created this thread: Chevrolet S-10 EV - Battery upgrade to BMW i3 modules
Regarding your questions:
1)we are using the simpBMS for monitoring the bmw modules. The chevrolet bms is still working and is receiving fake cell voltages. It can still calculate state of charge and is working as it normally would with the lead acid batteries
2)yes, we still using the MagneCharge. I thought about adding a Typ2 inlet, but i think it's a bit of work to get it integrated into the bms including state of charge calculation.

Thank you for the mailing list! I did not know something like this existed!:)
Best regards, Julius

1 - 14 of 14 Posts