DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These E560 Gearboxes were custom built for 3-phase Siemens Motors. The ratio is 2.36:1 making it just about perfect for doing a very simple direct drive rear wheel drive conversion using a Siemens motor. For most EVs the magic final drive ratio number is somewhere around 8:1 or 9:1. If you plug an appropriate high RPM Siemens motor to the front, plug a driveshaft into the back and connect that to your differential, then you've got a very simple direct drive EV! For example most rear end diffs will have gear ratio somewhere between 3 and a little over 4, multiply whatever you have by the 2.36 and you'll have about 8:1!

The gearbox also includes a "shift lever" which is designed to connect to your gear shift lever in the vehicle allowing the driver to see what "gear" it's in and I believe there is also a parking pawl so you can stick it in park more like an automatic. Really, I don't think the gearbox has any actual reverse gear but it can be used with your stock gear selector on your steering column to make it feel like you're going into different gears, then you also hook up a General Motors shift sensor (P/N:24221125) and you can tie that to your inverter to indicate whether you want it go forward, reverse or nothing.

Kinetic Drive Sysems (Silvatech) is a Canadian company which engineers high quality drivetrain solutions often for heavy equipment applications. They made these custom for the Siemens motors and Azure Dynamcis (Solectria) used them in their large EV and hybrid truck applications coupled to the big powerful Siemens 1PV5138 series AC induction motors. These were designed to handle a lot of torque yet be very lightweight. They are made mostly of aluminum and one person can easily lift the whole unit. I have a few of these gearboxes brand new in their boxes with original instruction sheet which includes torque specs and other data. The units have a plastic plug on the input side and appear to be full of oil but you should check and re-fill if necessary as it gets worked in after the first use as per the instructions. The gearbox max capacity is 2 liters and it takes 75W90 synthetic gear oil.

I will be listing many other EV parts both new and used including some of the big Siemens 1PV5138 Motors which match these gearboxes . Some fellow members in my EAA club (Seattle EV Association) and I purchased a number of items from Azure Dynamics at auction and imported them into the US from the R&D headquarters up in Burnaby B.C. Canada. The items are now in Seattle Washington and all the customs and duties have been taken care of. We're selling some of the things in order to raise money for lithiumizing & doing other work on our own EVs. :)

Make us a reasonable offer and get a deal on some originally very expensive EV components for your own project!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We still have a some of these strong KDS Gearboxes for the Siemens motors.

New in box, or we also have one which looks used and is connected to a Siemens motor. This would make for an easy RWD conversion plus it includes a shift lever and built-in parking pawl!

Make an offer, get a great deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
I have also a AC-Motor/Generator to sell, which fits perfectly to the upper KDS-Gearbox.

Look here:

http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/siemens-hochleistungs-komponenten-fuer-elektroauto-motor,-inverter/397342132-223-4863

I sell a complete bundle of:

Motor: 1FV5139
Inverter-Parts: Driverboards, IGBT's, Big Caps, Amp-Sensors, Bus-Bars
HV-Battery: 144 6,5Ah Honda IMA-Battery for testing-turposes
Throttle.

Located in Germany.

All together 3000€

If interested, please contact me.

...sorry for my bad english

Regards Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts