DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AC Propulsion Gen 2 AC-150 Drive systems taken out of OE pilot program EVs. They include 150 kW motor, inverter, BMS, 18kW integral charger, air cooling, etc. Systems can also include transmission, shifter, coupler, A/C compressor, other items to make a conversion complete.

Would like to sell most or all to one professional conversion shop, but will consider any/all inquiries, offers. Asking $6,000 each. Contact me and I will provide pictures, details, on-site inspection as needed. Systems are now in Southern CA, about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

I changed my mind and have made the drop-box link open for viewing the pictures and descriptions.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cK46WcQvd5dRxFaqfoWh3IxhWL_SJy6-v4gk8KiowX8/edit?usp=sharing

Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,

Russ Binder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motors and transmissions are together, with the isolating coupler required. Yes, these are from the Mini-E's. They work very well. There are a few left you could test-drive, if that would help. The running vehicles are not for sale, but the drive systems in them represent what is for sale and how they perform.

I invite you to come take a look, a test drive, and see how these could work to your advantage.

What application did you have in mind?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just curious to see more information about your offer. I had a chance to drive AC Propulsion powered Ebox back in 2008 and it was very impressive. Nice to see these drive systems offered to DIYers instead of being disposed of. It would be nice if you posted some pictures here.
I am slowly collecting components for my own EV conversion, but I am locked in to low voltage system due to my battery (Tesla modules). I would be interested in getting AC-150 motor alone for inverter development if you have spare one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send me your email and I can give you access to a drop box where pictures and other information reside. I'd like to sell these as complete sets, and I have no extra motors. You really will want to use the motor and PEU as a set. Not sure how it would play with Tesla batteries (Model S or Roadster?). I have brand-new battery modules available that would work with this system perfectly. About $500/kWh. Zero China content. The modules are made in San Dimas, and can be custom configured to your needs, given a reasonable volume. I can send more info on those, too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Russ,

What are you asking for these?

Thanks!
Its right there in his first post:

Would like to sell most or all to one professional conversion shop, but will consider any/all inquiries, offers. Asking $6,000 each. Contact me and I will provide pictures, details, on-site inspection as needed. Systems are now in Southern CA, about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,

Russ Binder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Derp. I read over it several times and still missed it. Thanks.
No biggie. $6,000 each is the asking price - an inarguable bargain considering you get the ACP equipment plus many of the extra items that you would need anyway for a conversion. Send me your email address and I'll give you access to a Google Docs box where a short ppt-style presentation resides, showing the equipment and all. If you are seriously interested and would like to see the items "in person", let's make an appointment to visit the warehouse for these in Southern CA, about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Since these are from the Mini-E's, I assume you could make things like the motor and trans mounts available for those converting Mini Coopers?

To be clear, I'm probably not in the market, but it might be good info for those who could be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Since these are from the Mini-E's, I assume you could make things like the motor and trans mounts available for those converting Mini Coopers?

To be clear, I'm probably not in the market, but it might be good info for those who could be.
What I have is shown in the pictures (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cK46WcQvd5dRxFaqfoWh3IxhWL_SJy6-v4gk8KiowX8/edit?usp=sharing) - no more, nothing else.
But you get quite a bit, really. The car-side mounts and all stayed with the cars. I can show you a finished factory car if you want to see how it was done. Given how much work, overall, it is going to be to convert the car, making a few mounts should not be a barrier. You get all the "difficult" items.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
How old are these? The aluminum looks like they have been in water. Mmmmm. Too pricy still. This is a DIY site and many don't have that kind of budget. Many have already spent a fortune getting what they have so not much of a market from us low end guys. Unless priced real good and with a way to actually make them RUN its not such a good deal. Im more concerned about the fact that they look like they have been in water.

Will you post the link to the images here so folks can assess for themselves what might be a good deal or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How old are these? The aluminum looks like they have been in water. Mmmmm. Too pricy still. This is a DIY site and many don't have that kind of budget. Many have already spent a fortune getting what they have so not much of a market from us low end guys. Unless priced real good and with a way to actually make them RUN its not such a good deal. Im more concerned about the fact that they look like they have been in water.

Will you post the link to the images here so folks can assess for themselves what might be a good deal or not.
Re: "In water" These were installed in cars originally in 2008 and 2009. They were used for at least 1-2 years, some in California, some in NJ. Outdoors, on the street, in every-day conditions. No, they have not been UNDER water, but yes, they undoubtedly were used in normal weather conditions, were splashed, etc. They worked fine.

Re: "Too pricey..." OK, maybe this isn't the right market. That is probably true and fair. Please, though, tell me, for a 150 kW AC system, with all the extra items, even a transmission/differential, what is reasonable?

Re: "many don't have that kind of budget" - again, maybe that's fair. So, when one converts a car over to full electric, all in, what is a typical budget, beyond the cost of the basic car? My thought in offering these was that there would be a lot less one would have to DIY, and for something that is basically the same system as the original Tesla Roadster, the Wrightspeed X1 car, etc., that would have some real value.

The files are in my google docs box. I don't have them posted on some open-access site. If someone is really interested, please email me and I'll grant access. I think it is better for anyone seriously interested to come see the physical equipment, not just pictures.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Re: "In water" These were installed in cars originally in 2008 and 2009. They were used for at least 1-2 years, some in California, some in NJ. Outdoors, on the street, in every-day conditions. No, they have not been UNDER water, but yes, they undoubtedly were used in normal weather conditions, were splashed, etc. They worked fine.

Re: "Too pricey..." OK, maybe this isn't the right market. That is probably true and fair. Please, though, tell me, for a 150 kW AC system, with all the extra items, even a transmission/differential, what is reasonable?

Re: "many don't have that kind of budget" - again, maybe that's fair. So, when one converts a car over to full electric, all in, what is a typical budget, beyond the cost of the basic car? My thought in offering these was that there would be a lot less one would have to DIY, and for something that is basically the same system as the original Tesla Roadster, the Wrightspeed X1 car, etc., that would have some real value.

The files are in my google docs box. I don't have them posted on some open-access site. If someone is really interested, please email me and I'll grant access. I think it is better for anyone seriously interested to come see the physical equipment, not just pictures.
Well I would think we would need to see one of these actually running if you were to charge $6k for the components. Being that the inverters most likely use proprietary software and components to connect to program the inverters that alone will make them pretty moot to even consider. No one as yet has come up with a HACK box to over ride the inverter like is being done to the Tesla so one could use the Tesla. I have no doubt that the motors are good for conversions but more info would be needed. Like system voltage? Do these come with all the needed documentation to make the run? I think it would be a difficult thing to get them to run even with all the goodies you are providing.

As for photos, those are the most important for anyone who is not near where the items are being stored. It would be a waste of time for someone to come a long distance to JUST LOOK. I buy and sell cars on CL and it is very very very important that I provide openly all the photos anyone would want and of high quality so they can assess the vehicle before deciding to come for a LOOK. Most will just buy because I offer excellent photos of what is for sale. Remember, most of your market is spread far and wide and just CAN'T jaunt on over for a quick look. Ive no doubt that they would look pretty much the same in person as in a good set of photos.

A simple Google Blog would provide a way for anyone to view the photos and assess if its in their interest to buy.

For you to sell it is in your best interest to open up the information and photos of all you have. Even with that the sales will be rather slow.

Also remember, some places will even scrap out a Tesla Drive system because who actually could use the system to do anything with. It would provide more money just for scrap.

So a good price I envision is like a couple thousand per complete set you have. Even then it will be hard for someone to get them to work. Some day maybe. I'd consider one for a couple thousand. But I already have an electric car and conversion project that is ongoing and another project with a DIY inverter Kit for induction motors and using it with an AC induction motor from a Forklift.

Are these motors Induction or PM?

Google is your friend. Open a blog and post your photos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Part of what Jack said about these ( http://evtv.me/2015/08/certified-pre-owned-and-the-bug-a-salt/#comment-19548 ):
First, they are used. Second, divorcing them from their fiber optic BMS and battery system is non-trivial. They then immediately dropped off the planet and we haven’t heard a thing from them since. I kind of like the system but I don’t see us handling it. The motor, for example, has to be INSULATED from the transmissiond??? Stuff like that. It’s hard.
I don’t know if $6000 is good or bad. It has some attractions, but there’s a lot of little gotchas with it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ha! Ha!
Can't believe anyone is moaning! :eek:
ACPropulsion is responsible for many OEM EV drive-trains.
I spoke, directly with ACPropulsion, seven years ago.
These kits were $25,000.00.
This is a bargain!!!
Yes. You should see it run, before buying...:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Reconsidered - here's the link: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cK46WcQvd5dRxFaqfoWh3IxhWL_SJy6-v4gk8KiowX8/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I would think we would need to see one of these actually running if you were to charge $6k for the components. Being that the inverters most likely use proprietary software and components to connect to program the inverters that alone will make them pretty moot to even consider. No one as yet has come up with a HACK box to over ride the inverter like is being done to the Tesla so one could use the Tesla. I have no doubt that the motors are good for conversions but more info would be needed. Like system voltage? Do these come with all the needed documentation to make the run? I think it would be a difficult thing to get them to run even with all the goodies you are providing.

As for photos, those are the most important for anyone who is not near where the items are being stored. It would be a waste of time for someone to come a long distance to JUST LOOK. I buy and sell cars on CL and it is very very very important that I provide openly all the photos anyone would want and of high quality so they can assess the vehicle before deciding to come for a LOOK. Most will just buy because I offer excellent photos of what is for sale. Remember, most of your market is spread far and wide and just CAN'T jaunt on over for a quick look. Ive no doubt that they would look pretty much the same in person as in a good set of photos.

A simple Google Blog would provide a way for anyone to view the photos and assess if its in their interest to buy.

For you to sell it is in your best interest to open up the information and photos of all you have. Even with that the sales will be rather slow.

Also remember, some places will even scrap out a Tesla Drive system because who actually could use the system to do anything with. It would provide more money just for scrap.

So a good price I envision is like a couple thousand per complete set you have. Even then it will be hard for someone to get them to work. Some day maybe. I'd consider one for a couple thousand. But I already have an electric car and conversion project that is ongoing and another project with a DIY inverter Kit for induction motors and using it with an AC induction motor from a Forklift.

Are these motors Induction or PM?

Google is your friend. Open a blog and post your photos.
Here's the link to the info. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cK46WcQvd5dRxFaqfoWh3IxhWL_SJy6-v4gk8KiowX8/edit?usp=sharing

These are AC Induction motors, but not your normal off-the-shelf motor. They are specifically made for use with the inverter/controllers. They have a built in speed and thermal sensor that communicates with the controller, for example. They have cooling fins on the outside, with an air-ducting shroud around it, to which a cooling fan attaches. You can see more at

http://acpropulsion.com/products-drivesystem.html

If you look at the AC-150 system.

I can provide some of the basic AC Propulsion information, but it is not a step-by-step illustrated guide to using these systems, unfortunately. This equipment is likely not for someone doing their first conversion. I would prefer to sell a bulk shipment of these to go to an experienced converter; one doing many similar vehicles, so that when the first one is done, installing the rest are a matter of replication.

Thanks for your input. If this equipment is really not a good match for the normal DIYer, that's probably fair. It is somewhat complex, does have some proprietary software, and if you are going to use the integral charger, you'll need an isolated coupler if you don't use the existing transmission. Since this is not being sold by AC Propulsion, they are likely not going to offer much post-purchase support.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts