DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! im over in the openinverter forums but thought i might post this here as might be helpful to others

About a year ago I scored a great deal on a gen2 leaf motor, which changed my ev plans.
Being there was no good way to adapted to the motor shaft, I spent a good long time designing this coupler.
As a result i got a small batch of them made and still have a few left for any one interested.

gen 2 leaf motor (EM57) shaft coupler
untested on gen 1 leaf motor(EM61)(7/17/2020)

362FB2D8-0988-4273-ABB3-9816E0C040CB.jpeg

FE686404-D8DD-46B6-A075-CCDA793C220A.jpeg

features:

-non heat treated 304L stainless steal

-pre-marked rotex gs38 bolt pattern(this means a blank face with the marks for the gs38).

-designed to mate with a 7208b angular contact bearing (removes any loads on the leaf motor shaft)

-3.75in mounting face

Adapter plate CAD :https://github.com/angusjo/leaf-splines ... ate.SLDPRT

When the bearing is utilized, mounting flywheels or drives shafts is possible.

Video: coupler fitment

350$ CAD + shipping

this part is provide as is
I hold no liability for any results occurred from the use of the coupler.

paypal.me/bratIndustries
[email protected]
@electricrallybrat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to design a part that converts the splined output to a more standard keyed shaft like a Warp9 or Curtis motor, but getting the splines right is a tricky task.

Can you provide a video of you putting the adapter on to the motor that shows there is no play in the adapter?

·
Registered
531 Posts
You asked the same question I did. No video needed, just how the shop made them, or name the shop that made them, to the tolerances needed.

EV West has a video that talks about how to put them on a motor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to design a part that converts the splined output to a more standard keyed shaft like a Warp9 or Curtis motor, but getting the splines right is a tricky task.

Can you provide a video of you putting the adapter on to the motor that shows there is no play in the adapter?
[/Q

they are non involuted splines. I did some research on spline geometry, and talked with a few machinist.

the geometry is spot on.

video: leaf motor coupler fitment

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't know much about couplings. Why would I not want a shrink fit, (ignoring the difficultly of removing the coupler). Thanks.. :)
Bill
destructive vibration /excessive preload (and the simple fact the components would cool before proper fit was achieved)

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Just to be clear, Bratitude, can you confirm that the outer race of the angular contact bearing is located in a recess in the motor side of the adapter plate, constrained axially by the adapter plate and motor housing? That detail will be important to Torque Trends if they make an adapter plate to mate the motor to their gearbox, using the coupler as intended with the bearing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to be clear, Bratitude, can you confirm that the outer race of the angular contact bearing is located in a recess in the motor side of the adapter plate, constrained axially by the adapter plate and motor housing? That detail will be important to Torque Trends if they make an adapter plate to mate the motor to their gearbox, using the coupler as intended with the bearing.
the bore for the bearing is on the open face of the adapter plate.

The current thickness in the cad file for the adapter plate is just slight less than a 1in thick. so the bearing dose stick out a little.

This is because I had a 1in thick plate of aluminum. and just leaveled the surface to make sure it was true to spec.

There is a press fit tolerance for the bearing into the adapter plate. pre heating the plate and taping the bearing in with a mallet.

coupler inserts into the bearing, c-clip to hold the coupler in place, then adapter plate is bolted to the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This info may be too late, BUT you do not want to use a keyed shaft with any type of traction drive. The reverse loading of a traction motor in a vehicle will play Pac-Man on that key. If you have no choice, get that keyed joint as tight as possible.....tapped on with a rubber mallet level. DO NOT hammer it on or you will likely damage the motor's front bearing. A splined shaft is by far the best possible means of doing a shaft connection with a traction motor. The adaptor shown above is a nice looking piece of work.....Given all the work you will put into a conversion, I would buy that adaptor quick.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts