DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have met a Denver Electric Vehicle Council member who is a former engineer with Unique Mobility and worked on the Electrek project for several years. During that time and as the project ended he aquired a nice supply of original Electrek parts. I am helping him post some of his items for sale.

The motors for sale are GE 11" motors that were made specifically for the Electrek. They are Sepex (separately excited) motors that require a special controller so these motors will really only work for Electreks or possibly other 1970s-1990s vintage EVs. They run on 165v maximum and pull 175A they are rated at 32hp continuous. Modern Sepex controllers for this motor at this voltage just don't exist.

Motors have been stored inside a garage vertically since aquired. Each motor is approximately 200lbs so either local pickup or add the cost of freight shipping.

Two brand new in box motors: $2000 each

Two good used motors: $750 each

Three used motors for parts only $250 each.

Thanks for looking please see photos!

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say in the description it’s a sepex motor... but the motor label says series??
Yes some of the motor plates say series and some also say shunt but they are all Sepex. The reason is because they were modified from existing GE designs. You can measure resistance across the field and armature to confirm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Again
I am very interested...
But I would like to have more pictures if I may, particularly if the two good used motors and the three parts motors....
I would like to see brushes and commutators for all of them. Also looking at the pole screws do these things have inner poles??? I would like to see that too...

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is the location? What pieces of the parts motors can be reused or why are they classified as parts only?

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@GE11 I will get the requested photos when I have a moment to visit his garage again. The two motors pictured I took as samples to get photos of. I'm about to leave town for a week also but I'll get them when I return.

@lj516 the motors are in Englewood, CO. They didn't wander very far from their home even after all these years.

All parts motors were pulled from customer vehicles or used on the dyno and were overheated or otherwise damaged. It's possible they could be reused. The armatures have been removed from these motors also.

The good used motors were from customer cars or dyno motors that were run normally with no problems and still are in good working order.

I believe the owner has detailed notes about each motor, he is currently trying to dig them out of storage.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, I do not. I have been traveling for work and on vacation. The good news is I saw a Hummer EV prototype driving around Moab last week so that's a good omen! I will be home this weekend I will get some photos of the motors I have in my possession. Thanks for your continued interest!

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are still available. I apologize for all the delay. I have been travelling tons for work over the past months and the gentleman who owns these motors is old and takes a lot of patience to work with. I just got back in town yesterday and will be here for the next few weeks at least so I will try to answer all questions. I posted those photos for you GE11 so I was awaiting your response also. Again thanks for your continued patience.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Armature Winding appear to be on the thin side..

Just from what I can see...
These are 40 year old motors from 1979 or before that were used on the UM Electrek low production vehicle. They are a piece of history and may or may not be useful for a homebuilt conversion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts