DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! New here!
I just picked up a very complete, but very outdated EV conversion for a 914 from Electro Automotive. It was purchased in '07 or '08 and is an AC version of their kit. A bit of searching makes it sound underwhelming, unable to reach top speed due to thermal shutdown of the controller. There doesn't seem to be much love for these Azure Dynamics units in general. Here's hoping I'm wrong. None of the parts have ever been used, just gawked at. I'll sell it complete if someone is really that, um...excited. But expecting to part it out. Local pickup in Phoenix would be great, will ship inside the US. Warning that UPS clocked the motor at 99lbs when it originally shipped.

AC24LS, DMOC 445 II and all associated harnesses, ground strap, mounting feet, switch box for regen and output settings - 500 OBO
2-piece billet NEMA c-face to VW/Porsche and taper-lock coupler for 5 bolt VW/Porsche flywheel, starter block-off plate, clutch alignment and flywheel lock tools - 750 OBO
Zivan NG3 currently setup for 144V lead-acid, but can do CC/CV at pretty much whatever voltage - 700 OBO
CC Power C400 144/12V DC/DC converter - 100 OBO
Westach ammeter gauge and shunt 200A - 35 OBO
Westach state-of-charge gauge 115V-156V - 35 OBO
23mm front torsion bars (1923) for 914 - 250 OBO
KYB KG9003 shocks and 361004 strut inserts for 914 - 150 OBO -- SOLD
914 coil springs (unknown rate, but presumably very heavy like the torsion bars) 80 OBO
PVC boxes and steel frames for battery mounting - FREE for local pickup

There's other bits and pieces like relays, copper battery interconnects, fusible links, wiring, terminals...it's too much to list or go through. Feel free to ask for something specific, but it's all pretty much going in my "junk drawer".

Open to trades. Building a burnout go-kart with a 7" DC series wound that will do up to 72V, but we only have 48V equipment so far.

Thanks! Just send a PM if anything looks good!

Jim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Still have this stuff? I have a 72v dc motor, a Warp9 motor and Evnetics Soliton JR setup if interested in trade. Could pu I'm in LA area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still have this stuff? I have a 72v dc motor, a Warp9 motor and Evnetics Soliton JR setup if interested in trade. Could pu I'm in LA area.
The shocks, struts and poly bushings were sold, used a bit of the loose wire. I started to recycle a few of the steel bits for my elec burnout go kart (clearance grinding on something listed as a motor mount, a few extra holes in some angle steel, etc.) but it's still usable or easily replaceable. Everything else is still here, but a couple folks have asked about the motor/controller combo. Pick up would be great, but I have a trailer so could deliver or meet part way also. Shoot me a message.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Its not that no one wants one. The problem is if it has all the accompanying software for the controller. Without the matching software the controller is pretty much a brick. I have one of these in my 914 I purchased early in the year and I did get the original software but the problem is that the software is matched to the controller. It's part of the kit. Do you have the software for the controller? It would be a great kit to put into a Bug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not that no one wants one. The problem is if it has all the accompanying software for the controller. Without the matching software the controller is pretty much a brick. I have one of these in my 914 I purchased early in the year and I did get the original software but the problem is that the software is matched to the controller. It's part of the kit. Do you have the software for the controller? It would be a great kit to put into a Bug.
Hmm, bummer but not a shock. Thanks for that info. Nope, no software. Hopefully the folks that originally bought the kit still have it and will answer my messages. :) I assumed the controller would have already been programmed for the motor it came with, but also figured there was a good chance the controller would be scrapped for parts to make another controller, a charger...who knows. Hence the "it's a crapshoot" pricing. Might get really ambitious and try to power it up on the bench and connect with a terminal just to see. Will update the post if so or I get any response from the original owner.

Good call on a Bug for this. If the controller happens to just work by some miracle, I was thinking Baja. Cutting the back of the car off turned out to be great way to eliminate the EFI-specific engine tin on my old '75 and fix its cooling issues. Figured it would work pretty well for the DMOC too. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know if you get that software for the controller.
Nope, they don't have software. I'm charging batteries and looking at the wiring diagrams in hopes of bench-testing it.

Promised on another forum to ask someone with the AC 914 conversion: Will it do a burnout?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Will it do a burnout? Not likely. I purchased my 914 from the person who built it. It is not a road demon. I'd say more like stock at best. Remember, these were built long before Tesla and it was also one of the first home conversion AC setups besides those that others custom cobbled together. I think the controller is the limiting factor. I was thinking of using one of my Curtis AC controllers attached to this to see what it can do with more amperage and voltage. I have a DMOC 644 and think I'll use it for the power section and do an aftermarket inverter motherboard and drivers. Might. It is time consuming and I have plenty to do right now. But connecting the Curtis AC inverter might be a quickie test. I'd be interested in the motor and adapter if you decide to not keep it. The inverter is pretty much a brick but internal components could be scavenged for other projects. Im not looking for a screamer but a nice stocker for a VW bug. I'll be taking the 914 out for a spin on the property soon. I'll let you know how the low end grunt works out with this setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of using one of my Curtis AC controllers attached to this to see what it can do with more amperage and voltage.
Wasn't aware that was a practical possibility. I presumed they wouldn't speak whatever encoding the motor uses. The AC stuff is pretty mysterious to me still. I happened on this kit while looking for bigger/badder DC parts for my little go kart project, intending to learn my way up the ladder. If you want any of it, send me an offer. It's not precious to me, just a possible future project I don't have time for either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts