DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale I have 3 adapter plates machined to fit a Nissan LEAF EM57 electric motor. These adapter plates were machined to match the CAD model posted here: For Sale: em57 leaf motor couplers To be used with that coupler shaft.

6061 Aluminum. Machined with .004" tolerance (+/- .002").

It is machined to accept this bearing: SKF

These plates are .875" thick which is slightly less than the 1" spec'd by the model. This will mean the bearing will sit proud slightly, but shouldn't affect function at all.

Price $500 + shipping. Please PM if interested. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
729 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the short, relatively small diameter Leaf motor shaft can handle the load reversal forces from the inertia of a flywheel, if one is used. This might be from abrupt switches to regenerative braking or reversing the vehicle. The input shafts of transmissions are about the same diameter. But, because the input shafts are much longer than shaft on the Leaf motor, they are better able to absorb the forces by twisting slightly like a torsion spring.

Also, it might be necessary to use a double row, angular contact bearing like this: SKF, to handle vibration or movement of the flywheel in addition to the clutch disengagement forces.
EDIT: If the bearing needs seals, this is that bearing: SKF . Although the seals limit the normal max RPM to 5600. What is the max rpm of the Leaf motors?

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least in my build there will be no flywheel on the output side of the motor. The designer of this adapter plate used an electric motor drive coupling that has nylon or rubber dampers I believe. I think this plate is a great design to use for any number of drive combinations, including a boat outboard motor as I know one person is doing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts