DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zilla 1k motor controller with hairball along with a dual warp 9 motor package. The motor setup was designed by EVWest and was used in a Baja race car. It comes with extra belt and the adapter for the Chevy transmission that was used by EVWest as well as a VW/Porsche 901 transmission adapter.

At this point I'm looking to sell locally since shipping this is going to be expensive with the weight of two motors and the adapters. If I have trouble finding a local (Hermosa Beach, CA) sale, then I'll check into shipping costs for this. I'm willing to meet someone part way, or potentially deliver within parts of California depending on where and when.

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/off-road-racing-going-electric/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNxTSTMeII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJVtGmEUOpQ

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you aren't able to sell locally, I would be interested.

I'm in NC so shipping/transport would be moderately difficult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Michael,
I am thinking about an EV build. I have a volkswagen T3 (vanagon) and a Porsche 914 that I am researching...I know EVWest did a T3 and would love to do that...do you think that they could make a mount for this motor? Also I see that you have a E914....thoughts?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you aren't able to sell locally, I would be interested.

I'm in NC so shipping/transport would be moderately difficult.
Michael,
I am thinking about an EV build. I have a volkswagen T3 (vanagon) and a Porsche 914 that I am researching...I know EVWest did a T3 and would love to do that...do you think that they could make a mount for this motor? Also I see that you have a E914....thoughts?
P.S.Mangelsdorf, I'll keep it in mind if it does not sell in a reasonable time-frame. Thanks for expressing interest.

Doka_90, EVWest built the dual motor setup that I have. Their current setup is for AC motors from Netgain or Curtis, but the motor bolt pattern is the same. The setup I have is their original prototype, and the new setup is more elegant, and their new setup is also designed primarily for a VW whereas the one I have was originally setup for a buggy with a GM transmission, but I built an adapter to fit the Porsche 901 transmission. I'm sure you can make an adapter to fit a Type2 (?) transmission that is in the Doka. Either way, they should fit into the Doka in the same way with the DC motors as the AC motors. Here is a link to the dual motor adapter that they offer if you prefer to just use a new adapter instead of an adapter to the older one that I have: https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=441&osCsid=1c23a78l76ecps08ihrdnqpt45

I have had my 914 for over 20 years and it makes an awesome electric car! Lots of room for batteries, and its lightweight so its easier to move. It ran great with lead acid and the curtis controller (120v 500amp = 60kw peak) I never fully installed the dual motor and zilla into my car, so I did not get so see what a 300v 885a = 265kw setup would have done, but I'm sure that it would have been "overpowered".

The two vehicles are very different, and your use case for each would likely be very different from mine. So which one to swap? I can't answer that for you, but either one would be great as electric and with the dual motor and high current controller you will have plenty of power and you can reduce it with software to keep from damaging everything instead of wishing you had more. If you setup the swap with a good pack of lithium batteries and then decide to add an AC motor in the future, the adapters will allow for a direct replacement of the Netgain DC motor with one of the AC motors from Netgain or Curtis. The only thing to watch out for is that the Zilla can go up to 300v and the AC options are for 120v, so you may have to split your pack into two parallel packs if you make the change later. If you design it that way ahead of time, it will give you options in the future.

Anyhow, have fun making decisions and enjoy the project. Designing and building is most of the fun with DIY Electric Cars. Its pretty boring once you get it running and just use it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, were was this back in May? I'm interested in the Zilla controller, since I recently bought both motors. I'll try to PM you, not sure if there is a limit regarding the post count to send pm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, were was this back in May? I'm interested in the Zilla controller, since I recently bought both motors. I'll try to PM you, not sure if there is a limit regarding the post count to send pm?
After, I sent you a PM, I checked my inbox for sent PMs. It doesn't say it was sent. I tried sending it again and it said I must wait 60 seconds between PMs. So I'm assuming it sent but didn't update to show on my side.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: For Sale: Zilla Motor Controller and Dual Warp 9 - $1500

Price Reduction - $1500

Just trying to get rid of some components and not have them end up in the landfill. Local pickup or meet halfway preferred since the motor is heavy and would cost quite a bit to ship.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Re: For Sale: Zilla Motor Controller and Dual Warp 9 - $1500

Price Reduction - $1500

Just trying to get rid of some components and not have them end up in the landfill. Local pickup or meet halfway preferred since the motor is heavy and would cost quite a bit to ship.
Palmer, how did you get your hands on that? I want the adapter. I want to put a dual AC-50 in my Bug. The whole thing is well worth the price. Im considering getting this then put it in my Bus if I get the whole thing.

6 1/2 hour drive each way.

Long drive. But........

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure Pete,

Let me know for sure and we can work it out.

There is a chance I'll be headed to Sacramento for the memorial day weekend, but I'm not sure:
1. if i'm going
2. which car I'm taking and how much room I'll have

But if I do end up going and I'm taking my own car and not the wife's, then that might be an option.

Michael

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sure Pete,

There is a chance I'll be headed to Sacramento for the memorial day weekend, but I'm not sure:
1. if i'm going

But if I do end up going and I'm taking my own car and not the wife's, then that might be an option.

Michael
Well I’m interested in the controller... it would offset the price some

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Sure Pete,

1. if i'm going

Michael
Im on Staycation right now. Going back to work on the 29th. I'll be around. I'll buy the whole thing unless you are willing to break it apart. I don't really need the motors but if I must I can sell what I don't need or use. Would be killer in my Bus though. :)

I have cash in hand.

Pete

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as I know right now, I'm selling the package to onegreenev, and he is going to resell any components that he does not need in his conversion (I believe that GE11 was going to purchase the Zilla, but that is between them). We are still working out the details regarding shipping.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's a hell of a deal for both of you.

$500 per Warp9 and $500 for the Zilla is like, at most 1/3 the price I've seen them for sale here in the past. Quite the steal.

If Palmer's happy with that then, I'm glad all 3 of you got something you wanted out of this transaction, and that we get to see some new builds documented here (hint hint).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just to wrap it up....this is sold and gone. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts