DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Mustang GT that I want to put a 2014 Mustang EPAS unit in. Many people have done it to the 2005 to 2010 Mustangs by just hooking them up to the HS-can wires with no issues and they work great. My problem is that I do not have many of the stock engine sensors that it needs to work now being an all electric Tesla powered Mustang. So hopefully some one familiar with Fords can tell me without just guessing what inputs I would need. My guesses are engine RPM to tell the rack to turn on and the wheel speed sensors for internal dampening at high speeds. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
If it's like a Focus, I believe that the EPAS control unit gets a road speed indication (not engine speed) and a steering angle, both over CAN. I doubt any of the inputs would be engine-related or from engine-mounted sensors. As long as supply voltage is high enough (which only happens in an engine-driven vehicle when the engine is turning the alternator) I don't know why EPAS wouldn't power on without the engine running, although the ignition switch would need to be in the run mode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I think it does not power on without the engine running is because it could drain the battery very quickly if it where not running and charging.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
The only reason I think it does not power on without the engine running is because it could drain the battery very quickly if it where not running and charging.
Sure, but the same applies to lots of things that are powered from ignition-switched circuits. Just a minimum voltage around 12.8 volts would ensure that there was a charging system working.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 13.8 volts with key on and my DC to DC converter charging. I believe I'm needing the correct Can Bus messages. Cortex racing has an inline can bus simulator that will turn the unit on with the correct can bus messages but it does not adjust for driving. It's the same in a parking lot as it is on the freeway. $400 price tag which may or may not be worth it. I was running the Boss 302 type setup with a standard rack and an electric pump and it works great but I hate the whining noise it makes. In a loud ICE car it would be fine but not in my Mustang.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was able to make the rack turn on by sending can bus signals to it through CanHacker. So now I am going to setup up a teensey 4.0 to send can bus directly to the EPAS rack with a couple of push buttons to tell it how much help it gives. Meaning, tell it that I'm driving in parking lot conditions, race conditions or highway speeds. Sounds real easy, NOT! as I have no Arduino programming knowledge, but then again I had no idea how to sniff Can bus 3 days ago. Necessity is the mother of invention. So off to learn Arduino programming.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
If it's like a Focus, I believe that the EPAS control unit gets a road speed indication (not engine speed) and a steering angle, both over CAN. I doubt any of the inputs would be engine-related or from engine-mounted sensors. As long as supply voltage is high enough (which only happens in an engine-driven vehicle when the engine is turning the alternator) I don't know why EPAS wouldn't power on without the engine running, although the ignition switch would need to be in the run mode.
I'm not familiar with EPAS, but for the Nissan/Infiniti computer, it reads road speed from the ABS encoder, if that helps.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
So I was able to make the rack turn on by sending can bus signals to it through CanHacker. So now I am going to setup up a teensey 4.0 to send can bus directly to the EPAS rack with a couple of push buttons to tell it how much help it gives. Meaning, tell it that I'm driving in parking lot conditions, race conditions or highway speeds. Sounds real easy, NOT! as I have no Arduino programming knowledge, but then again I had no idea how to sniff Can bus 3 days ago. Necessity is the mother of invention. So off to learn Arduino programming.
This is really cool, and I'm sure you've considered this already, but I feel like I have to say it: You'll want to be absolutely sure, when messing with steering stuff, before using it in real life. Even just having all your power assist go away is an exciting experience, because power racks aren't intended to make it easy to use unassisted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may need the ABS signal too. The only thing that is confusing me is that it shuts off when sitting still after I inject the engine on message. Which means no ABS should be needed when sitting still. Anyway still playing with it. Found Cortex racing sells a little electronics board that makes it go into sport mode work for $399. So there is an answer but that's no fun, figuring this stuff out is the fun part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts