DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my C3 corvette conversion thought experiment, and I'm now doing the same thing with a Ford Focus RS.
My reasons for doing this are 3-fold:
1. Practicality: The C3 Corvette is a beautiful car, but I play the cello. Cellos and basically any sports car don't mix well.
2. Safety: Manufacturers switched from body on chassis to monocoque for a reason. It might make my job a little harder, but I feel that it's worth it.
3. Ease of modification: I specifically chose the RS because it's got several qualities that make it a good fit. It's got a low curb weight, AWD, and a large modding community. It's also got a low drag coefficient and good downforce even in stock configuration. You can get it used for not too much, and wrecked for way less.

So, in this thread I'll be going through all the practicalities and concerns of modifying the Ford Focus RS, to get a road plan for anyone who wants it and a better understanding of EV design.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I understand that the RS variant of the third-generation Focus is special due to the AWD system, but since an EV can have AWD by using a drive unit (motor and transaxle) at each end, I can't see the logic of converting an AWD RS.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
143 Posts
I have ridden in a few RSs from stock to wildly modified and they are nuts. Most of the magic comes from the monster torque of the turbo direct injection engine and the electronically controlled diffs. Gutting that stuff just leaves a pretty standard hatchback with (admittedly advanced) Macpherson strut front suspension.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I have ridden in a few RSs from stock to wildly modified and they are nuts. Most of the magic comes from the monster torque of the turbo direct injection engine and the electronically controlled diffs. Gutting that stuff just leaves a pretty standard hatchback with (admittedly advanced) Macpherson strut front suspension.
My understanding is that the RevoKnuckle front suspension (the only advanced variant of a MacPherson strut in a Focus) is only used in the RS variant of the second-generation Focus, which was never sold in North America. The target of this project is the third-generation Focus, in which RevoKnuckle was not used - even for the RS - because it's not needed... they're not trying to put about 224 kW through just the front wheels as they did in the original RS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts