DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but... capacity? The entire pack from a hybrid gives you the highest voltage used by any road-going DIY project, but not enough capacity for most builders to be happy with the range. So you do what - parallel them? Break them down to modules or even single cells and entirely reconfigure them, making a pack with a lot of components due to the small cells?

The only hybrid which seems to be popular as a salvaged battery source is the Chevrolet Volt, because it is a plug-in hybrid with substantial battery capacity (16 kWh?). Even a Fusion Energi (which is a plug-in hybrid, unlike the regular Fusion Hybrid) has only a 7.6 kWh pack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm running Fiat 500e batteries in my car. They come in 19-23kW packs and seem to be doing fine so far.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just to clarify why paralleling won't work: If you have two or more packs in parallel, you will draw the 'same' current from both of them, but if they are not matched capacity-wise, then at best you can run them capacity-wise at the lowest pack. Or, you accidentally drain the lowest one completely and ruin it or burn down the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I dont think that is a fair assessment. Paralleling packs would add their capacities together and that's that. For example: two cells paralleled, both are 3000mAh. The voltage would remain the same for both cells and both cells would discharge at the same voltage rate. The only time you get in trouble is when cells of different capacities are in series. In that case, the string capacity should be the same as the smallest in the string to avoid sending the smallest into reversal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just to clarify why paralleling won't work: If you have two or more packs in parallel, you will draw the 'same' current from both of them, but if they are not matched capacity-wise, then at best you can run them capacity-wise at the lowest pack. Or, you accidentally drain the lowest one completely and ruin it or burn down the car.
This happens when they are in series, and not parallel. If you put a 1 kWh in parallel with a 2 kWh (of the same end voltages), then you will get out 3 kWh.

If you put a cell in parallel with 5p cells, you get 6p and not 2p.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had just considered ordering a pack last week, they are only $700-800 here in the US, looks like they would make excellent cells for creating a custom pack!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had just considered ordering a pack last week, they are only $700-800 here in the US, looks like they would make excellent cells for creating a custom pack!
I have some I can sell you for much cheaper.
We came across quite a bit that were rejected from the Ford plant in Mexico.
We assumed they were rejected because they were completely bad. %98 were rejected due to cosmetic damage. So let me know!
Have hybrid and plugin packs.
Located in Olathe, Kansas, but we can ship them.

Edit: I thought dain254 was talking about the hybrid, NOT the Energi, since that was what the main subject was about.
$700-800 for Energi is a good price, not one i could match for the Ford reject battery.
I do have salvage packs that have been kept separate that match that price.
Ive also received a lot of requests for quotes, might as well put them here.
Energi pack Ford reject: $1,200
Energi pack salvaged:$700
Hybrid pack Ford reject:$350
Shipping for packs will be freight and will cost extra.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have the raw cells or the entire pack?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have entire packs.
I think it was 27 Plug in Energi, and around 300 of the hybrid batteries.
The packs come completely built from Japan(Panasonic).
They were rejected for any reason they could find, since it is a new car and everything has to be perfect.
A lot of them have a little bit of rust built up or a scratch on the case.
There are some that I have come across with bad cells inside, but not that many.
Since so many people asked about them.

Here are 2 listings if you are interested in just a few of the hybrid or energi cells.
It also has information about the batteries on there as well.
Hybrid
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-CMax-...ash=item33d507ae2e:g:nBsAAOSwk-9Zf8bp&vxp=mtr
Energi
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-CMax-...ash=item33d3f1e9c3:g:tuoAAOSwq1NZf70g&vxp=mtr

If you are looking for more than a few, let me know. We can work something out.
Also, shipping depends on how many you want as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts