DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the appeal of the crate motor is it is the front motor which does not have an inverter. I needed lower profile to stay below the truck bed .Sandy tear down is of the rear with the inverter integrated.

I’ll use a cascadiamotion inverter and still tbd on vcu. Aem looks pretty nice. It will come down to ease of integration I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's gonna be a really cool conversion! Looking forward to seeing how this build progresses!
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Mach-E front drive inverter would work with the Eluminator crate motor combined with the AEM VCU? I've contacted Ford Performance and they don't seem to know anything, and I've contacted AEM but have yet to get a response. The Cascadia is the obvious choice but the cost is quite high, about 4-5X the cost of a Mach-E inverter.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Using the Ford front inverter is supposed to be what AEM is working closely with Ford on.

Ford should be releasing documentation of the inverter's CAN codes and pinouts, but I was told by them directly that, as well as the motor outline CAD drawing, is "proprietary" 🤦‍♂️

So...we have to 3D scan a unit, and log the traction inverter CAN codes (I'm hoping Veronika ( @D&VsEVJeep ) will do that with hers). It's not proprietary, it's 🦕🦕🦕🦕🦕

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the Eluminator to Art Morrison chassis shop today to review the mounting and design. I am very impressed with AM capabilities and operation. Spread across three large buildings, CNC machines, mandrel benders, they’re the real deal. We’re still a long ways from the finished product. It was well worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Well, I may have been deceived about Ford working with AEM on the CAN codes for Mach-E's traction inverter. Was there a falling out?

Here's a video released today from AEM that uses the Eluminator with a Cascadia Motion inverter (Cascadia does publish their CAN messaging, as everyone should):

A bit underwhelming, but not surprising given their battery and inverter choices. They blame the weight of the car, lol, in the video instead of their component choices.

Still an ok package, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts