DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just purchased an already converted 1989 ford ranger and I am trying to put a heater in it. So I have taken out the heater core and cut a square hole in it to fit the ceramic space heater core (this exact element has worked fine in couple other conversions previously) in and have glued in the ceramic heater core but when I put it back in and bolted the bottom cover to the heater box and turned on the squirrel cage blower the air was room temperature. I left the heater on for a while too and it never warmed up. What's happening?

The ducting to this ranger doesn't seem to be as linear as my other mazda truck where the air blew directly through the heater core. With this ranger the ducting blows in through the side of the heater core box, then I guess its forced through the "only" opening and that's supposed to be through the heater core but it seems like it could blow around the sides of the core and through the holes in the firewall where the heater core piping goes through. I guess I could go through all the trouble of making it more air tight but it just doesn't seem to be worth it because its such a shoddy design. Has anyone run into similar problems?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
there isn't a lot of ducting on an 89 ranger to start with or even remove. there is a temp control flap and a routing diverter flap. I think you took too much out.

should be identical to the Mazda, since they built it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only took out one thing and that's the heater core to cut a square hole in it then I took a piece of lexan and cut it to the size of the back of the heater core and glued it to the back of the heater core. Then I hole sawed out a hole the size of the circular plastic holder that holds the ceramic element then I glued that to the lexan trying to ensure that all the air would go through the element and through that center hole. But I think its going around it and also through the holes in the firewall. Pictures to come.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the heating duct and the heater core.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What is the voltage across the ceramic element and how much current is it drawing?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pack voltage across it is 120 volts nominal I'm not sure of the amperage so I'll have to measure the resistance again. The mazda that it worked really well in had 144 volt pack but I feel the box when its enclosed and I feel a lot of heat and when the box is open I put my hand near it and it almost hurts to keep my hand there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And see in the pictures how the opening where the air comes in from the squirrel cage doesn't blow directly through the heater core it just blow into the box. Should that make a difference?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The pack voltage across it is 120 volts nominal I'm not sure of the amperage so I'll have to measure the resistance again. The mazda that it worked really well in had 144 volt pack but I feel the box when its enclosed and I feel a lot of heat and when the box is open I put my hand near it and it almost hurts to keep my hand there.
Measuring the resistance won't tell you anything since these are positive temperature coefficient devices the resistance changes greatly with temperature. The resistance goes up as the temperature increases. You need to measure the current when the air is blowing through it to know how many watts it is consuming.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well all I know is it worked in a Mazda truck and a triumph spitfire. I guess I'll trying siliconing off all the holes and cracks that air could possibly get through if that doesn't work then I'll know that the problem lies in the ducting beyond that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
And see in the pictures how the opening where the air comes in from the squirrel cage doesn't blow directly through the heater core it just blow into the box. Should that make a difference?
The air has to go through the heater element. If it doesn't, you won't get effective heat transfer. I'm having some trouble seeing what's going on in the pictures but that big empty space around the new heater element has to be closed off in order to send the air through the element.

Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would you recommend I close it off? Is that a common thing people have to do? Do you know of anyone that has had the same problem on here?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If there is any way for air to flow around the ceramic core it will. In addition to blocking off the opening around the ceramic element you need to plug the old heater core.

Cover the open space with some kind of sheet metal and use something like high temperature silicone rubber adhesive to hold everything together and block the old heater core. I have a tube of 650 degree which is red that I got at a local auto parts store.

Good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
^^Just like Duncan said. I would take a piece of metal big enough to completely cover the old core and fit inside the ducting. Cut a hole just big enough for the new element to fit, maybe slightly undersized to give it something to seal against. It should probably be clamped or attached somehow to keep it from moving around and then seal up any gaps with high temp silicone.

Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I cut a square hole in the heater core then I took a piece of lexan and cut it in a square the size of the heater core and then I took a hole saw and cut a circle in the lexan the size of the plastic holder that holds the heating element and then glued the lexan piece to the back of the heater core and then epoxied the plastic holder over the circle hole I hole sawed. So I figured that should do it for the for keeping air from going around it but no when I put it back in there there seems to be so many ways it could go around :mad:
So what do you guys think of making a piece of ducting that fits inside where the air comes in and then fits over the heater core? Where could I get something like that?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
heater core on the Swift would be a bitch to get to, so I just inserted heater element in the duct I could get to... used a dryer vent as a start for the tinwork, and modified from there. I have a series of pix [here]

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing but its a tight fit inside the heater box I'm going to have to find or make custom ducts one end that fits within where the air enters which is kind of an round oblong hole and then have adapters that go to an elbow and then a circular hole that's that size of the heating element. Don't know where I'm going going to find that so making it seems to be the only option maybe make it out of cardboard and then fiberglass over it??? Anyone have any better suggestions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts