DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2013 Ford Azure Dynamics Van comes with a 240V/13Amps (J1772 port) home charger,to charge the 28KWh pack it need 12 hrs! impractical to say the least.

I found a spec sheet on the Internet saying the vehicle support Type 1 and Type 2 charger? does it mean I can use a faster charger? if so how?

thanks

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
My 2013 Ford Azure Dynamics Van comes with a 240V/13Amps (J1772 port) home charger,to charge the 28KWh pack it need 12 hrs! impractical to say the least.
Is it? Do you full discharge the battery each day, and need it to fully recharge in less than 12 hours?

I found a spec sheet on the Internet saying the vehicle support Type 1 and Type 2 charger? does it mean I can use a faster charger?
Hopefully it said Level 1 and Level 2 (not "type"). Level 1 is what the onboard charger does with a 120 V AC power supply (just a regular household outlet), and Level 2 is what the onboard charger does with a 120 V AC power supply (usually from a home or commercial charging station. Your "240V/13Amps (J1772 port) home charger" would be Level 2, at about 3.1 kW. It sounds like the vehicle does not support fast DC charging, which requires a different connector (normally CCS Combo, except for Japanese EVs with CHAdeMO and Tesla with their own oddball thing); in DC charging, the charging station provides DC at whatever voltage the battery needs directly to the battery, not using an onboard charger, but the vehicle needs to be able to tell the charging station what voltage and current to provide.

So no, as the vehicle was made there is no way to charge it faster. Assuming that the onboard charger is the limitation, you could replace it with a larger one, to use a Level 2 charging station at a higher current, if the battery can take this charge rate for a sustained period; 7.6 kW chargers using about 32 amps (from a 40 amp or greater circuit) are now relatively common on modern EVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian,

To answer your questions: eventually when the van is in full use it will need to be fully charged every day - some days - probably more than once!

the issue I have here, is lack of information pertaining to this vehicle,
the manufacturer long gone out of business, not much info out there about the van.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts