DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Forward and reverse. Thunderstruck VCU - SOLVED

1015 Views 9 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  mrschmiklz
Hi all. New here. I have an electric ATV build in the works. I have my battery pack, Leaf Motor/Inverter(from different cars{2015\2017}), VCU(Thunderstruck v3.1), and amalgamation of wires. I have the motor spinning with a pedal throttle. I have tried multiple configurations with the FNR switch. I have tried those configs with FR enabled\disabled and FNR enabled\disabled in the VCU firmware.

I cannot get the motor to change directions. I'll include some pics. Hopefully something is obvious to someone with a little more know how.

Disclaimer: I did have to repair the wiring harness at the resolver location. You can probably see in one of the pictures that it is not normal looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Any questions you have, I will do my best to answer. I am understanding enough to be dangerous. :D

EDIT: I had the brake set to "hall." I set it to "off" in the vcu and now I have Forward and Reverse!

Attachments

Reactions: DaveEV
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla Model 3 - Nissan leaf powered ATV in the works
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where's your wiring diagram? Exactly how you have it wired up...
I will work on getting that drawn. I have never drawn one up, but I am fairly certain I can get through it. I used a mixture of the diagrams in the manual for the VCU and watching this youtube video.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Attachments

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might try connecting the brake pedal input.
I turned the brake off in the vcu. Something to do with the regen braking. That allowed me to switch between forward and reverse! Thanks for the hint in the right direction! Do I need to mark my post as figured out? This is my first post.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Hopefully you'll stick around the place to participate, share what you know/find out, and try to give more than you got, vs hit and run on your own problems.

Postings here are to help others that come along - if it was one on one, you could not afford me, lol.

Not sure how you mark it "solved" - maybe try editing the first post and its title.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully you'll stick around the place to participate, share what you know/find out, and try to give more than you got, vs hit and run on your own problems.

Postings here are to help others that come along - if it was one on one, you could not afford me, lol.

Not sure how you mark it "solved" - maybe try editing the first post and its title.
I'll do what I can!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts