DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.. I am planning to build a electric car from scratch by my own design. It will be very simple, one seated, Go-cart like. But, I want to implement some features of intelligent car in it, like Autopilot, smart system monitoring system, etc.
Now, the real thing is, I want to make it very very cheap. my budget is 30,000 Taka (1 Taka = 80$ ) or around 400$
In my country, there are some electric "rickshaw" which can take way more load than 1000 KG (more than three people can seat) and runs on 500W DC motors. which I is available in the market for 6000 Taka (75$), Lead Battery of 12V, 85 AH @20 hour, is 12000 taka (150$). I did not started the design or calculations yet, as I just took the decision today. But it will be not more than 1000 KG. But which I realized for last 3 hours internet browsing is I need more powerful motors, which, I am afraid will be very tough to manage in my country and I dont want to use AC motors.
Then I found this forum. Can you help me with some ideas about the motor power ??

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You can figure out the motor power needed by using my on-line calculator:

http://enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm

You may be surprised how little power is actually needed if you have proper gearing and don't mind going slow. Up to about 30 MPH in a small vehicle on fairly flat terrain, you may get by with about 2 HP, and less than 200 W-h/mile. If you use a lead battery, you won't be able to realize any more than about half the watt-hr rating. So your 85 AH 12V battery will probably be really good for 40*12=480 Wh for maybe 15 minutes run time and maybe 3-5 miles range. I made an electric riding mower that weighed about 350 lb with me aboard, and it took about 2/3 HP (500W) to move very slowly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts