DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling my Electric Geo Tracker (Same as Suzuki Sidekick) Conversion. Price is firm since I'm selling at a significant loss to help pay off another vehicle. It has:

Electrical System:

Twelve 6-volt Golf Cart Batteries for a total of 72 volts in the traction pack. Over 10Mph, acceleration is pretty slow, but it's good for running around town.

A very powerful 12" dia. custom Forklift motor (rated 180 amps continuous). I advanced the brushes 10 degrees on this motor, so it runs just great at 72 volts and I believe it should be able to go significantly higher (I was hoping to do 144 volts someday).

An Alltrax AXE 7245 Motor Controller

An electric vacuum pump that provides power brakes.

A 12-volt Trolling battery that runs accessories (I.E. headlights, horn, wipers, blinkers, etc.)

A 72-volt 5A/10A charger wired in runs off 110v AC.

A 6 or 12-volt 2,4,or 6A charger (for the accessory battery) wired in runs off 110v AC.

Ammeter on dash to monitor current-draw

General:

Seats 4, no batteries inside the passenger or cargo area

4 good 225/75/R15 tires with one 205/75/R15 spare

Increased front suspension (from a Suzuki Grand Vitara)

Has passed inspection twice with no problems

Batteries are from '06 and early '07, and need to be replaced soon. With a fresh charge, they'll still do short trips.

Brake Pump is operated via a vacuum switch which sometimes sticks. This does not affect the operation of the brakes in any way, but you can hear the pump going continuously when it happens.

Top Speed: 45-50 mph on flat ground

Range: Just around town stuff (I don't know, I've never really pushed it. It's better for the batteries if you don't).

Needs:

A paint job

A radio

A savvy owner

This conversion is clutch-less. Since the Electric Motor doesn't idle, you just take your foot off the pedal and shift. The motor is torquey enough that I start in third gear. Electric vehicles never need an oil change. Operational cost: about $0.02/mile depending on the local rate for electricity.

Curb Weight after conversion is exactly 3,000 lbs.

Driving an electric car is a little different than driving a Gasoline-powered vehicle. I'm perfectly happy to explain the differences, and it's not hard, but it's important to remember the differences when driving. This thing has given me almost 2,000 all-electric miles and I've loved it, but my family is growing and I need more seats. When I bought the "donor vehicle" it had no title, so I had to order one. I have no idea what the prior history of the vehicle is. I'm not exactly a mechanic, so this is being sold in good working order, but AS-IS in the hopes that whoever buys it will be able to give it the love it deserves. The Tracker has been a great little platform for learning the ropes of EV Conversion.

For pictures, and more info, see http://www.evalbum.org/1871

G

·
0 Posts
Should have left the motor in neutral position for that low of voltage. You'd have better performance. Advancing is for keeping the arcing at bay with the high voltages of like around 120 volts and up. 72 and 96 volts really don't need advanced. Mine runs just fine in neutral. Start in second and wind it out to about 4000 rpm then shift. If you drive at higher rpms you'd do much better.

Pete :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a new member and am interested in your car. Is it still for sale? Where are you located? I couldn't get the url in your message to work.
All the best, Hal Klassen, Coquitlam B.C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts