DIY Electric Car Forums banner

FS: Genuine GM EV1 / S-10E Drive Unit - AC Motor, Gearbox, Differential & Wiring

5106 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  HPEV_llc
Yes you read that right and this drive unit didn't get crushed, in fact it is new and un-used as it was purchased many years ago from someone who knew a GM dealer that had one! I've been saving it for a special project of my own but decided that I have too many projects and too much stuff in the shop so I am selling this and other things to get some space back and some more personal spending money to put towards just finishing other EV projects.

This General Motors EV Drive Unit Assembly - Includes an AC induction motor, reduction gearbox, differential, "gear selector" indicator switch, built-in parking pawl, temp sensors, wiring harness, detachable speed encoder, full set of schematics and three beefy aluminum motor mounts. Simply drop this into your desired vehicle and plug in two axle half shafts, grab a 3phase inverter like Rinehart, Tritium, DMOC etc. and you're good to go!

I have never seen a complete EV drive unit with this kind of power to weight ratio or with water cooling ports as large as are on this one! As you probably know, General Motors spared no expense when building the EV1 and there has arguably never been another vehicle quite like it. GM engineers were literally made to measure things down to the gram when comparing design ideas and the results were simply astounding! This complete drive unit combines a very compact liquid-cooled 100+kW 3-phase AC induction motor with a reduction gearbox, differential and other above mentioned items and when full of oil it weighs only 150 lbs (68kg)! That's right, at 150lbs the entire motor, gearbox & diff weighs less than most other motors alone! Even other liquid cooled induction motors with similar or less power like Siemens & MES-DEA weigh more than this entire GM drive unit! Additionally, the GM motor can safely spin up much higher than other motors with a redline of 14,000 to 16,000 RPM depending on where you look. I talked with a GM engineer who worked on the motors at the GM Advanced Vehicle Tech center and they said they tested them to well beyond their conservative published ratings!

Due to the high RPM capabilities the gearbox has a reduction gear set built in with a final drive ratio of 10.95:1 which gives it incredible tire smoking starting torque (trust me I've done it in both EV1s and S-10Es!) while still allowing for a fast top speed. It was a GM motor like this that powered the first Lightning Motorcycle prototype to many wins in the TTXGP and also to an incredible land speed record! GM themselves also used the motor with a different gear ratio to set a land speed record of over 183mph back in the 90s!

Tesla engineers actually tested the EV1 drivetrain when developing their own and in CTO JB Straubel mentioned how remarkable the EV1 gearbox was when talking about Tesla's own new gearbox which "has extremely low spinning drag (less than 0.1 Nm of dry drag torque.) This is less than any other gearbox we have tested with the only possible exception being the EV1 gearbox."

Here is a unique chance to get a very rare motor that is historic and has incredible performance characteristics. I can recommend a few inverter (motor controller) options for this motor and with the sale I will include wiring diagrams and temperature sensor values so that you can make use of the GM wiring harness and built-in sensors and speed encoder. A few other people have been able to get their hands on such motors and in fact both John Wayland and Otmar have put GM EV1 drive units into their Honda Insights. http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/blog/?p=337 It was noted that the gearbox fits common GM and Saturn axle half-shafts so all you have to do is plug some into the gearbox and then this rare GM Drive unit is ready to bolt in. You can use the included bolt-on thick aluminum motor mounts or build your own as there are many mount points on the unit since it was designed to fit in both the EV1 and S-10E.

I'm only asking $6,995 and with this rare incredibly efficient powerful AC drive you will also get that signature EV1 sound! If you've never heard a GM EV1 or S-10E before, they have an almost jet turbine, or Jetsons-like high pitch whine as that motor spools up. Distinctly different from any other EV you can sort of hear it when watching this video of Richard Hatfield's EV1 motor powered Lightning Bike (it's the Yellow bike leading the pack) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wu_0kb4TWlE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
747 Posts
Re: FS: Genuine GM EV1 / S-10E Drive Unit - AC Motor, Gearbox, Differential & Wiring

Find a museum. If you have an income that use it, it should be worth a six figure charitable deduction. (This is a WAG. I could be off by a factor of 10)

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: FS: Genuine GM EV1 / S-10E Drive Unit - AC Motor, Gearbox, Differential & Wiring

Hi MrMike,

Yes it is still available. I replied to your PM with my contact info and I will post the dimensions later today. Thanks for your interest.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I took dimensions and sketched up a decent two view drawing which shows most of the dimensions that I think would be most helpful for figuring how it might fit into your project. It should give you an overall idea of the main parts of the drive unit.

Attachments

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Here are more photos, not sure why some of the old photo links were broken but I do still have this rare new-in-crate GM drive unit for sale.

This has the highest power-to-weight ratio of any induction motor/gearbox combo I've seen. The cooling ports on the motor are massive and every piece of this aluminum casting has been optimized for low weight.

I will include wiring diagrams with specific details from the GM EV1 factory service manual and I can recommend a number of motor controllers for this outstanding motor.

Solid mounts will make installation easy and then all you have to do is plug in axle half-shafts for a clean conversion. Plus you'll get that signature "Jet-turbine" EV1 sound!

Lots of interest but nobody has yet come forward with the cash. $6,500 and it can be yours!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.