DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have a few Tesla Drive Units that I need to sell. They are both front and rear induction drive units from ~2016 MY vehicles. They're all the ~250-300hp version.
I have hacked them and will offer them "ready-to-run," along with a basic wiring harness and supporting components (main contactor, precharge circuit, etc.)
They are hacked using Johannes Huebner's controller design with the newest firmware. The PCB was designed by Damien.
The boards are soldered myself from blank PCB's as well as flashed with the newest firmware. Wifi access is working for configuration and monitoring.

I've been holding onto these units for about a year but now need to sell them for some cash for new projects.

Huebner's motor control design has the following features:
-It just works. Sine / Slip control for smooth performance.
-Main contactor drive and precharge control.
-Basic configurable interface for universal BMS support.
-Easily programmable CAN interface where CAN parameters can be sent or received via simple configuration using the web interface
-programmable PWM drive to drive a tachometer, motor temp gauge or anything you can think of.
-Wifi interface
-RS232 interface

My goal is to make it as easy as possible for someone to integrate this into their custom project - for those who may be a little daunted by wiring or hacking their own drive unit, but don't want to go the full-on (and expensive) custom shop build.

The only thing you need to add to make the motor run is a high voltage battery and a throttle. Just hook it up and it will run. Many OEM throttles can be made to work without modification.
A BMS is obviously highly recommended but not an absolute requirement.

I have both front and rear drive units. They are identical in terms of performance. They only differ in their mounting arrangement.

For the basic package, the following things will be included:
-Motor/Inverter
-Basic wiring harness to interface with the inverter to supporting components
-Main contactor
-Precharge relay and precharge resistor
-5 hours of phone (or in-person if your PNW) support to help with your custom project
-30 day warranty

I have extensive experience withcustom EV conversions, components design, hacking drive units and multidisciplinary engineering design.

It's a no-brainer to go with one of these hacked Tesla drive units over an HPEV's setup. The performance and efficiency advantage is huge.

I'm asking $3,700 each per package!!! Shipping is possible @ ~$300-$500.
Local purchases are encouraged due to ease of transportation and local support.

Reply here or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
566 Posts
How can I get more info on the specs for these units, I. e. physical size, torque curves, etc. I'm pretty ignorant about them. TIA

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can I get more info on the specs for these units, I. e. physical size, torque curves, etc. I'm pretty ignorant about them. TIA

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
There are some great CAD models here if you need any dimension: Tesla CAD Models - openinverter forum
If you don't use CAD, let me know if you need a specific dimension.

in terms of absolute limits, I don't think much has been published in terms of torque curves. That said, the software is fully configurable and you can tune for any torque curve you desire. You can achieve peak torque at zero speed and peak power can be maintained for a large RPM range due to the ability to control the rotor flux. Expect higher power at higher voltage (max 405V)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
OK. Let's discuss it.

The spirit of Open Source means giving back to the developers, not using their work to make money.

So, you can give the stuff away at cost and support it for free, or you can contact the developer(s) and come to an agreement on commercialization.

Yes, being paid for 5 hours of your time is commercialization.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. Let's discuss it.

The spirit of Open Source means giving back to the developers, not using their work to make money.

So, you can give the stuff away at cost and support it for free, or you can contact the developer(s) and come to an agreement on commercialization.

Yes, being paid for 5 hours of your time is commercialization.
Are you interested in a drive unit?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I'm interested in knowing if you're being a parasite on the Open Source Developers or kicking back, say half, the money to them so they can buy more equipment or units to hack.

Making 5 hours of support money is being a parasite on their work.

Your time is worth something and theirs is zero just because you know how to solder? That's not what getting those boards is all about. Build it for yourself, kick money to them if you can, but as soon as you're consulting, you get $40/hour and they get nothing.

So...are you being a parasite or are you giving back to Open Source to keep Open Source going?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm interested in knowing if you're being a parasite on the Open Source Developers or kicking back, say half, the money to them so they can buy more equipment or units to hack.

Making 5 hours of support money is being a parasite on their work.

Your time is worth something and theirs is zero just because you know how to solder? That's not what getting those boards is all about. Build it for yourself, kick money to them if you can, but as soon as you're consulting, you get $40/hour and they get nothing.

So...are you being a parasite or are you giving back to Open Source to keep Open Source going?
I have a few drive units that I've been stuck with for a while and need to sell them. I thought I'd make them available to people who are first timers to an EV conversion and lack the skills to navigate making everything work together and make a proper conversion.
So far, I've had nothing but appreciation (and satisfaction) from those who purchased. I love educating first-timers and I try to ensure they're knowledgeable enough to do their next conversion alone and not be dissuaded or be tricked by bad information out there. I'll continue to offer it at this price until I'm out of units or I can't find any buyers. If you can't afford it, feel free to buy from another source or perhaps wait and I may end up lowing the price or selling locally as a salvage unit without support.
Since you're a regular forum user, you are probably not the target market for this.

By the way, I did reverse engineer, hacked (and sold setups for) the small DU at least a year before Damen and Huebner did. However, I'd rather use Open Inverter project for these since it's more feature rich and has smoother performance. I was using I-FOC without sensorless and I had some stability problems at high speeds. Heubner's slip based approach is smoother.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You're being a parasite if you're not kicking back half the money to the developers of boards you are reselling, which it sounds like you're not.

A form of theft, repackaged psychopathically as good will?

You can try and justify the alleged theft as helping others ("I stole the car but am giving taxi rides to others for $0.25 a mile plus gas costs, so it's ok I didn't pay for the car cuz I'm helping others while making money with it) but if you actually were helping, vs turning a profit on your time (and not comping the developers of the IP you're reselling), you'd be flipping your inventory at cost and be giving free support.

Then you also have the nerve to sell that in an ad here on a forum where supporting others is FREE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phew. I can see you're upset about something - I am sorry for that. You might want to step away from the internet for a while and take it easy...
You havent really offered anything of value here, except a few opinions which I obviously don't agree with.
I assure you, once I can afford it, I will be engaging in more philantropy... Although, there are people in need a whole lot more then software developers...
You're only helping to better my case. Some people have better things to do then spend countless hours on forums only to be misled by bad posts...

Actually, I do agree on one thing. 5 hours probably isnt enough. I thought I had it at 8 hours.

if someone wants a drive unit and the guideance of someone with years of exerpejce with professional quality EV conversions, hit me up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stop being a fuckwit Remy.
Do you expect him to work for free? or for a few dollars an hour? he's not running the front counter at a burger shop.
Are you one of these knob heads that expect everyone to work for chump change so you can have anything you need cheap, yet expect to be well paid for anything you do? Or do you work for free for the benefit of everyone else?

You Americans are always banging on about the free market and bullshit like that. He's set a price he thinks is fair for his items that he owns and the time that he's put into it, If you don't like it, go do better. Free market, Your can compete if you want or you can shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You clearly don't understand Open Source. It's not free and then you can go make money off it. That's IP theft. The terms of using Open Source is NON-COMMERCIAL use and you'll see a software KEY on OpenInverter where you've licensed their work to make money from. Clearly, they are OK with personal projects, but they expect to have something come back out of any effort that makes money over and above component COST.

Nobody says you can't get money or get comp'd for YOUR time. But it's not YOUR time in that package offering, most of it is the developers'. Clowns like OP are STEALING the developers' IP to make money.

Clowns like you sanction IP theft because you think it's a freebie because nobody charged you for it and you DGAF about the licensed under which you got it. Some Open Source allows commercial use. IIRC, the OpenInverter does not.

Open Source is only free if commercial use is allowed or if it's for personal use. In the latter, any documentation or support material is supposed to be captured and put into a Wiki, not held in secret and used to sell services to the next customer.

Understand?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now you've gone from offering opinions to being flat out wrong.
1. First of all, Heubner has chosen to classify Openinverter under GPL 3.0, which in fact allows for nearly unrestricted commercial use. The only stipulation is that I make available any source code. I haven't made any changes to the code (yet?) so anyone who buys one of these drive units can simply update directly by compiling from Heubner's github. If someone buys from me, they have the advantage of being partnered with someone experienced who can show them exactly how to do that.
2. If I do end up making a small change to the code should I identify a performance for feature improvement, I'll make it available publicly to comply with the terms.
3. This is not not even commercial use. I am selling a couple drive units which I have had for years, and I'm just trying to offer a value-added service to make a conversion (much) easier for someone less experienced. Commercial use would be taking the source code, modifying and using it in a consumer product for manufacture, and not crediting the original project and making the modified source code available.
4. You don't have to like it. I don't care if you like it. I only care if someone who wants to buy one of my units has a successful conversion/project.

It's pretty clear you have some vendetta or strange jealousy or some personal issue going on - but you're dead wrong here.

·
Administrator
1,577 Posts
I believe both Johannes and Damien have said it's perfectly fine to take their work and commercialized and resell it. No obligations. In fact in Damien's case, I get the impression he prefers this, as doing any kind of support is tedious to him and he'd rather sink he teeth into reverse engineering.

I recall once that Damien got upset that a particular seller of his designs deleted his logo from the PCB layout, which he thought was mean spirited and unacceptable.

That said, morally I think anyone commercially benefiting from Open Source work, especially that which is economically restrained like EV reverse engineering is, should be donating a significant chunk of their profit back to the community.

In your case you said you've sold these in the past based on your own design, did you happen to make your own designs open source and contribute back to the project?

In any case, I don't think there's a strict legal requirement here, but it would be nice if there was graciousness.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.