DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I made a suggestion to the site admin about the garage section of this site, he replied back to me and asked I could start a new thread for recommending improvements to the garage.

Please feel free to post your own suggestions for the garage :D

Once the garage grows to at least 200 cars listed, he will consider investing in the programming required for worthy improvements.

suggestions for the rest of the site I am assuming should still go to ... http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/official-site-suggestions-thread-28.html

My own suggestion is posted below.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Garage renovations

It would be really good if we could add a little more the the written content for the garage entries. basicly I am thinking a way to document progress steps. the notes section doesn't allow for text formating, and I am not sure yet, but I have a feeling that it also has a text limit which may inhibit its use for this.

Thanks for your consideration,
Matt.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Re: Garage renovations

I would like a drop down menu for Motor Selection. Have a list of all the common ADC, Netgain, Kostovs motors and Other Forklift Motors. When I want to search for EV's I like to compare ones that use the same motor.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
There are a few things I thought of that I'd like to add in:

1) Better text formatting in the notes section and new sections
2) Micro-blogging (journal updates, IE: What did you do this week?)
3) Related Discussions - Links to discussions related to this EV.
4) Comments
5) Change table header html so that it always renders correctly
6) Auto-completion in most fields (instead of drop-downs)
7) Link the different EV parts to tags in the forum (clicking on Warp 9 would bring up a page of discussions about Warp 9 motors)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
All very good ideas. I feel the garage is one of the best features of the forum and will give real staying power.

I must say, I am VERY impressed with how many vehicles have been posted there in the forum's short history.

The auto completion for forum search is also a great idea. I'm not a programmer, but would it be possible to have a program that will automatically add new keywords based on which searches are done more often?

That would make the search engine more "organic" so to speak and it would automatically adjust to whatever trends happen in the future instead of having to add a new motor or battery brand every time one comes out.

I've been holding off on adding my car because there isn't really much to show for now and figured it was better to wait until its done, but if more features to cover progress are put in and they are easy to use maybe long term builders like me would be more likely to post builds that are in progress.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
David - yup, that's the idea. The autocomplete would suggest things based on what it has seen before. When I did the first version of the garage I simply didn't have time to get into that. In fact, I still don't have time, but if there's enough demand to improve it, I'll make the time. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David - yup, that's the idea. The autocomplete would suggest things based on what it has seen before. When I did the first version of the garage I simply didn't have time to get into that. In fact, I still don't have time, but if there's enough demand to improve it, I'll make the time. :)
Two ideas I would like to suggest, one I think you may already be onto with the quote above, and the other builds off of that feature.

First; pull key words from the components and specifications fields in the existing forms, and second enter that data in a searchable database which links each component and specification with all garage vehicle entries sharing the same component or specification. so say someone wants to see who has used for the sake of example, a lesser known, like a BelkTronix controller? They could enter BelkTronix in a garage search field and see a page listing links to all the vehicles in the garage which use the BelkTronix system.

This type of search is very helpful to new builders looking to see what works and what doesn't. To take this one step further in that direction, make the search return page, subsearchable and each one there after. this way a builder can easily search through various component combinations and see what kinds of results other builders are getting with those combinations.

Oh yes! and the car model should also be treated as a component, for the sake of the search feature.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The filter function has a bug. Try filtering for Cost $20,000+
It returns all vehicles in the garage. The other filter selections seem to work though.

Sorting cars by cost returns an error.

Probably impossible to do, but it would be nice to clean up some of the KW ratings. I especially like the Aveo with 32.4 MW.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi,
A search function would be greatly appreciated, like trying to find EVs that are using a particular brand of controller, motor, charger, or battery brand and type. I think the interest in component searches in similar vehicles to what someone may have and how it has worked out is of great interest. Right now you can only filter for vehicles not components.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no idea how to fill the cost fields. It is restricted to 4 characters.
So, how to fill $20,000? Perhaps there is a solution, but I think other people have the same problem. So there could be an improvement.

Any Help? My request is just one year old ....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I still have the problem with conversion cost field since over one year.

Is there anybody out there who can explain it to me, how to fill this field?
I can not type more than 4 characters in this field. :(:confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I want to ne able to search based on the components (like everyone else)
the ev album lets us do that but it doesnt have the figures for range/battery/etc

so we have to look for cars with warp9 on evalbum and hope its also on the garage

·
Registered
18 Posts
User interface is really important to provide a convenient platform for users to search for the info that they need deriving from various fields of interest. A drop-down menu is a good alternative as compared to a search bar which might pose an issue since you are facing a limited keywords problem at this current moment.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
At this point all I get is a Forbidden 403 error when trying to view the Garage.
The Garage has been non-functional since Vertical Scope (this forum's owners/operators/administrators) wrecked it in their unplanned and untested server "upgrade".

For details, including examples of how you can see some archived content, see the earlier discussion: Garage

1 - 20 of 20 Posts