DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im assuming the Garage is no longer and will be no longer. Any reason why and is there an alternative that we can start up so people can have a place to go look at conversions. Many of those in the garage don't check and may not even know that others can no longer see what they have done.

This is a bad thing. I like looking at other peoples conversions. Helps to learn.

Pete :(

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
For now, you can use the Wayback Machine's most recent archive (2017 Dec 09) of the Garage. Nothing added this year is accessible, and nothing can be added, but at least the archived content is not lost and can still be accessed... if you can find it.

Unfortunately, you need to use an external search engine (e.g. Google) to find entries, or already know which entry number to look at, since the Garage's filter-based search doesn't work in the archived version. It may no longer be possible to search with Google, as the archived search results may have expired.

For instance, I have a Triumph Spitfire and so I had found (before the Garage was broken) all of the Spitfires in the Garage, including Moltenmetal's E-Fire. The actual Garage link for E-Fire is
www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/578
so some archived versions are
web.archive.org/web/20170607054043/https://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/578 (2017 Jun 06)
and
web.archive.org/web/20171209020218/https://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/578 (2017 Dec 09)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I suggested an approach to fixing the Garage, and VSAdmin responded, but that initiative fizzled.

Since the URL of each garage entry is identical except for the entry number, it would be possible to script a scraping of all Garage content even without Vertical Scope admin support, if anyone wants to parse the content and re-deploy it with a different presentation tool... even as additions to one of the other similar online collections. That's not me, but there might be a keen volunteer.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
VSAdmin responded, but that initiative fizzled.
No joke, I think they literally only have 1 tech, part time, and they're not familiar with the language it's written in.

I can't think of any other explanation. It's literally one part time running 40 forums.

They've stopped even pretending to take our concerns seriously. Or, maybe since it's me that's nagging them every 2-3 weeks, they presume no one else cares much and it's safe to ignore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I suggested an approach to fixing the Garage, and VSAdmin responded, but that initiative fizzled.

Since the URL of each garage entry is identical except for the entry number, it would be possible to script a scraping of all Garage content even without Vertical Scope admin support, if anyone wants to parse the content and re-deploy it with a different presentation tool... even as additions to one of the other similar online collections. That's not me, but there might be a keen volunteer.
It looks like they've taken it out of the server doc_root. It returns a 403 on 80 and 443.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts