DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Hi Dunc,

First off, he's got to do something with the Drive End (DE) bearing. Replacing it with a sealed bearing is likely easiest. Use high temp seals and grease.

RPM. Depends on balance. Armature components and construction should be good for 5kRPM. Recommend normal operation to 2500 with max of 4kRPM.

Have that bearing properly installed and balance checked.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
In the forklift, the gearbox oil lubed the open DE bearing. There is a shaft seal behind the bearing. When you have a double sealed permanently lubed bearing installed you can eliminate the shaft seal. Less common is a single side sealed bearing. But I doubt they'd rely on that to keep gearbox oil out of the motor.

major

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Hey Dunc,

Find it strange that ekthor is bragging about his newfound "quality" Kellies being able to operate up to 60 or 70% of their rating, or having to return it only twice? Looks to me like he is using this thread to sell stuff. And his insistence that larger motors suck more amps (meaning less efficient therefore less range), to me, indicates misunderstanding and misapplication, not a reasonable characterization of electrical machinery.

So readers beware. Mr. ekthor offers some valuable experience but loads it with ulterior motives (sales) and opinions, some of which I find questionable.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Hi ekthor,

No need to go thin skin. I'm OK with the mention of product offering provided Duncan (admin) is also and you don't get carried away. And opinions are welcome AFAIK. Just don't get upset when you see differing opinions.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Look at a cycle analyst from Grim Technology in Canada. Mainly for bikes but I used several on competition eGoKarts. That was CA version 2. You can get data logger opt and even gps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.