DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is Blake, I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everybody who contributes to the wealth of knowledge on this forum and seek advice about this HUGE DC electric motor I want to put into my Chevy Nova.
Pics attached at end of post

The dimensions of this motor are approximately 13.5”x20” and it weighs about 350 or so pounds. The ID tag states it’s 36/48v. It is from a Hyster forklift and has been sitting for quite some time.
For my Nova EV I would like to have about a 50 mile range and be able to cruise at 55mph and be able to take it to the drag strip and have some fun.

I wanted to hear what setups you guys have had succes with as far and Voltage and amperage for a motor like this. I would like to advance the brushes a bit to be able to to safely run a higher voltage for top speed.
I was thinking along the lines of a Zilla 1k for the motor controller and a good size bank of LifePo4 battery’s to keep this beast fed. It’s a Monster motor and I’m really exited to be closer to building a great EV!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the useful info. It’s good to know you have run it up to 144volts. From what I have read on here is that these motors can take some serious amps, I’m going to go with a 1000 amp peak controller, and slowly experiment with what works for this motor. From what I’ve seen there are controllers that can adjust with voltages ranging from 48-144v for example and that is what I’d like to use.

How does your Ranger accelerate from a stop? Does it have a pretty good pull with 400amps at a certain voltage you run it at? It seems to me that these motors must put out a load of torque at a low rpm. Also how does it run at highway speed? Like at what motor rpm at 55mph and what amperage/voltage does it like at that speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Duncan thanks for the link! That looks like a great project. That is great to know I can couple a U joint on one of the motor shafts.
Did you get your car going yet? I looks like your setup will put out a load of torque. I want to build a fun cruiser street car with about 50 miles of range and a ton of torque for 1/4mile drag racing for fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for the advice. Duncan the videos look like you are having a good succes with your build! Car looks fast on the track.

Major I will do the sealed bearing as well. I was wondering is that a requirement to run at 2500-4000rpm continuous operation? The open bearing assembly was designed for lower continued rpm use I take it?

Also the Nova is a 1975 with a stripped out interior and weighs just under 3000lbs. It has a built Chevy 350 in it that will be taken out and stored but it also has a TH350 automatic trans. On the EV west website it shows them using the Powerglide trans for their conversions because it is a stout unit. I know these motors put out much more torque than my TH350 can handle but has anyone had succes with coupling to this trans?

Also do you think that if this motor is coupled to the trans I will be able to use the trans ability to shift gears to keep motor rpm around 2500 rpm while achieving highway speeds? I’d like to use the trans so I can have a higher top speed and reverse. I know direct drive is stronger but what is he general consensus on using a trans? Thanks everybody

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys lots of useful info and I appreciate the input. Attached is a photo.
The car is street rod sleeper with a built up 375hp Chev 350in it that puts out about 400ft lbs of torque.

My rear axle is a GM 10 bolt 8.5in,(there are a few variations of this axle and the one I have is the stronger type) welded 3.08s on 26.5x10 Hossier DOT slicks, it’s setup for a mix between a fun street car that goes to strip but also has enough gear to drive 60mph at reasonable rpm.

I’m also a mechanic so it’s no problem putting in a GM 12 Bolt or Ford 9” if I blow this 10 bolt off the back of the car. The TH350 In it is a pretty stout unit but this Monster motor defiantly has the torque to shear off input shafts, grenade the internals if one cranked up the juice and let it rip.

One of my main goals is to go blow the doors off unsuspecting ICE muscle cars at the track with my ELECTRO NOVA! Would be pretty cool to keep the CG centered and to the rear so it could do wheelies. Anyways gotta dream right?

I like the sound of Direct drive and I’m sure it is the best way to go, I will consider it. How much more complicated is it to setup a reverse for this motor?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also on a side note I just saw that Manzanita micro the makers of Zilla is located right near me. It looks like they have good batteries too. Is there an EV club in the Washington area or some members around who I could buy some parts off of or maybe get some help from? This project is happening one way or another

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Lots of good useful info here and I do appreciate the ranges of both opinions and methodology in which you guys have gone about putting your projects together. The more information I have before putting things together and buying things the better.

I will be using this motor, I do understand there are many more options that would be better suited for both performance and range but it’s what I have and I want it to work for the fun of doing it.

I’m glad to hear there is a more budget friendly motor controller available and I’ll be sure to check out the Kelly products for sure.

I’m searching for reasonably priced battery’s and a motor controller at this point so if anybody has a good deal to be had let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the input Wayne. It looks like you have the setup and performance characteristics that I’m looking for.
To get your 288 volts and decent range how many battery’s are you running? I’m looking at getting the LiFePo4 battery’s and before I calculate out everything for my battery pack I just wanted to hear some real world experience as far as range and performance that you are getting.

Also which car are you running your setup in? And are you direct drive? I’m considering that but am concerned that setting up reverse on the DC motor is more trouble than it’s worth. Seriously considering fabricating an adapter plate for my trans and going that route.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Wayne and everybody else on this thread. Would you be able to send me a diagram of the reverse contactor setup. Also what contactors are you using and where did you get them from? I’m getting moving on the project and that would be a big help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Does anybody know where to find a drive coupler for this motor? I’m also in the process of trying to figure out what trans is the easiest to use. Also a direct driveshaft yoke would work but where an I buy one? The th350 thats In it might be more trouble to connect to than its worth. I know EV west uses the power glide setup which works well. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.