DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting this one because there are quite a few threads on this forum with info pertaining to this motor. My goal is to use the first few posts as a table of contents to the contents of the thread, as well as links to other threads. It's the 11" GE SepEx motor that a few of us around here have. Apparently, the 13" SepEx motor is very similar, so a lot of the info may apply to it as well. I'm actually planning to swap series field coils into mine, but in the meantime will try to contribute whatever i can for those planning to run them in SepEx config.

I'm starting with dxf and dwg CAD files of the motor's drive end head (DEH) mounting pattern. I'm in a pinch for time right now, but will try to update this post with more links to previously posted info and threads soon.

Let me know if these attachments download and work properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I'm actually planning to swap series field coils into mine,
Sounds like what I am doing with my 13" once sepex...transitioning to Series motor...lol

I have one word of advise. Major. He has helped me immensely off-line. I now know what I have to do and more importantly... I pretty much know why, which is kewl. A public thanks to him. (Sorry Todd... for the side-track)

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Todd! I have question! Where is the center in your pattern. I was able to figure out that the diagram was head-on in the default view, but I can't find the center of your diagrams for my life. I haven't tried much, but I made lines between all the bolts (after making the bolts circles, not two arcs), and then I made perpendiculars from all the midpoints. I guess they aren't on a circle, because the lines didn't all intersect. Do you have a diagram with the center? Is the origin of your drawing the center?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Todd! I have question! Where is the center in your pattern. I was able to figure out that the diagram was head-on in the default view, but I can't find the center of your diagrams for my life. I haven't tried much, but I made lines between all the bolts (after making the bolts circles, not two arcs), and then I made perpendiculars from all the midpoints. I guess they aren't on a circle, because the lines didn't all intersect. Do you have a diagram with the center? Is the origin of your drawing the center?
Thanks for any help!
Sorry about that. The center is indeed the origin of the x & y axes. In my software I can enter "0" for the starting point and be dead center. If you need me to do something to help you locate it let me know. I can put crosshairs or an "axle" spline in the drawing and/or model, or whatever you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that would be great if you could just put a stick, or even just a point to mark the center, just to make if perfectly clear. (I'm not too familiar with SolidWorks, I'm actually having someone help me with that part :eek:)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the two ZIP files in the first post with updated versions, that have an axle spline and spline crosshairs to locate the center of the pattern.

Please let me know if that worked. I think you said you're working in SolidWorks? How are you using the patterns - 2D to manually drill, or 3D/CAD model for CNC machining?

I've been extremely busy, but will eventually get around to linking all the other info I know about in those first three posts, and adding more downloadable resources.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, we are using a CNC machine (is it even possible to get enough accuracy by hand?) I believe it worked, I'm getting together with my cutter today, so I'll see if he likes it (like I said, I'm clueless! :D)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...is it even possible to get enough accuracy by hand?...
Absolutely. A competent fabricator or machinist can take a simple drawing and perform wonders. I do and love both - CAD/CNC and hand fabrication. With hand fabrication, precision is a matter of patience + skill.

...I'm getting together with my cutter today, so I'll see if he likes it (like I said, I'm clueless! :D)
Please continue to provide feedback, especially what his opinions are. I want to tailor the files to the average needs, as much as possible. I used the files provided to create the mounting holes for a very elaborate CAD/CNC motor mount. The mounting holes were spot on. Even before the mounting holes had been fully bored out to the proper bolt hole size, the bolts dropped straight through the mount, and were easily hand threaded into the motor. (The original holes were bored to something like .374" i.d., on the CNC. I think we finished them to .390) If nothing else, I would like to keep track of how much variance there may be between GE production motor machining.

I love this stuff! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I've been getting carried away with other things, and I really don't have anything useful to say.
When I went to meet my cutter, he had already imported the whole thing, and was basically ready to cut, so I suppose he though the drawings were alright. We cut it into plastic, and I took it home to stick it on the motor, and the hole we had made in the center (4 inch diameter) was too small! I haven't gotten to meet with him since, but it looks like the bolts will line up. I have more plastic, so I suppose we should cut it again with a bigger hole to see if it works out.

By the way, what bolts did you use?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, just keep us up-to-date. :) Glad to hear it's working.

...so I suppose we should cut it again with a bigger hole to see if it works out...
I would. It's always cheaper to experiment with a piece of plastic or wood first.

...By the way, what bolts did you use?
Right now I just have some 3/8"-16 Grade 3 socket head bolts securing the mount to the motor. They will eventually be replaced with Grade 8 12pt head. My mount has counterbored holes for the bolt heads to sink into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts