DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I’m looking for a GE 9 inch motor. Like the ones used in the Jet Electra.
If anyone know of one please contact me!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I don't have one, or even know where you could get one... but for clarity, are you looking for the motor from a Jet Electravan (Subaru 600 conversion), not a Jet Electrica car? Or do they use the same motor (which I've seen described as "GE" and "Prestolite")?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess to be specific I’m looking for the GE 5BT1346B50 this is the typical 9 inch GE motor that was used back in the day for EV conversions...

·
Administrator
6,121 Posts
Hi GE11

we need your location! - I know where there are lots of motors - but you may not be close enough to Dunedin for it to be any use

·
Registered
144 Posts
I guess to be specific I’m looking for the GE 5BT1346B50 this is the typical 9 inch GE motor that was used back in the day for EV conversions...
Yep, that's the 4700 RPM, 200 Amp, 20 Hp motor used in 1981. Jet had lotsa problems with that GE motor and quickly changed over to the Prestolite MTC4001.

I've used both in many EV's and they both perform well. The GE field pole threads tend to strip out, letting the poles drop and hit the armature. Besides that, the GE is more robust than the Prestolite. Eventually the Prestolite engineers left and formed Advance Motors.

And the rest is history.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Yep, that's the 4700 RPM, 200 Amp, 20 Hp motor used in 1981. Jet had lotsa problems with that GE motor and quickly changed over to the Prestolite MTC4001.

I've used both in many EV's and they both perform well. The GE field pole threads tend to strip out, letting the poles drop and hit the armature. Besides that, the GE is more robust than the Prestolite. Eventually the Prestolite engineers left and formed Advance Motors.

And the rest is history.
Actually the Prestolite MTC-4001 motor replaced a Baldor 9 inch. That was specifically for the Jet Electravan. They (Jet Industries, Bill Bates and his sons) used the MTC-4001 in the first cars they built, compact Dodge or Plymouth conversions. That is when GE came in with a motor and controller package and knocked Prestolite out. I never saw the GE motor but thought it was a 7.2 inch like the MTC. I know the Baldor was a 9" hacked from an AC stator with teeth knocked out to make 4 salient poles. Pretty crappy. Easy pickins for that strong MTC 7.2".

That little van (Subaru) was a sweet ride. Ahead of its time.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually the Prestolite MTC-4001 motor replaced a Baldor 9 inch. That was specifically for the Jet Electravan. They (Jet Industries, Bill Bates and his sons) used the MTC-4001 in the first cars they built, compact Dodge or Plymouth conversions. That is when GE came in with a motor and controller package and knocked Prestolite out. I never saw the GE motor but thought it was a 7.2 inch like the MTC. I know the Baldor was a 9" hacked from an AC stator with teeth knocked out to make 4 salient poles. Pretty crappy. Easy pickins for that strong MTC 7.2".

That little van (Subaru) was a sweet ride. Ahead of its time.

Regards,

major
The Baldor was rated at only 100 Amps and was an absolute POS. The GE was a hefty 150 pounds and 9 inch diameter with very large brushes riding on a very large commutator. The Prestolite was a light weight at 106 pounds and only 7.2 inches in diameter.

Yep, I had a little Subaru van for parts at one time. The GE motor was the most valuable part. Had a gasoline heater and a transmission that lost reverse gear. Parts were hard to find. The little Subaru could probably be parked in the bathroom next to the clothes hamper.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi GE11

we need your location! - I know where there are lots of motors - but you may not be close enough to Dunedin for it to be any use
I’m in the Atlanta area..
The funny thing is, I have 2 11 inch forklift GE motors (Hyster 325744) they weigh 240 lbs I’m afraid they weigh too much for the Volkswagen transaxle... what do you think?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So let me ask yalls opinion.
Which of three are more reliable from what you here and your experience.

1. warp 9 motor
2. Advanced DC 9 in FB1-4001
3. GE 9 inch motor..

Would love to here your opinions

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The funny thing is, I have 2 11 inch forklift GE motors (Hyster 325744) they weigh 240 lbs I’m afraid they weigh too much for the Volkswagen transaxle... what do you think?
While that sounds like a lot of motor for a Beetle, it is not much more than the weight of a complete stock Beetle engine (reportedly 100 kg or 220 pounds for a 1600), so it doesn't seem really unreasonable to mount to the transaxle. I've heard of people hanging heavier engines off the transaxle without an additional mount, as well, but I don't know if there are any issues with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts