DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm trying to repair (or replace) a GE accelerator sensor / interface for a friend.

This uses an inductive/magnetic transducer which two coils in a thin plastic moulding, plus a plunger assembly that moves a pair of magnets along it as the accelerator pedal is pressed.

The casing of the whole assembly has a label with the markings 2381961 - 5483 - 19/01/91

The electronics board has the circular GE logo plus VA-4 and and ID number 44B712803-001/002 (suffix for each copper layer).

The circuit board has three connections to the transducer, T1-A, T1-B and T1-C, plus terminals 1 to 4 which appear to connect back to the main controller.

1 is positive supply (at 12V ??)
2 is 0V or circuit common
3 appears to be the output (from a transistor collector)
4 appears to be some form of reference or feedback terminal.

Someone else has had a go at this and 'rewound' the transducer coils.
They also trapped one of the transducer flyleads in the metalwork and that's been shorted to ground. One of the traces is burnt off the circuit board.

This is from a 72V fork truck. The owner is quite happy to replace it with a mechanical pot system, if I can figure out how to wire that in. It could be as simple as a pot between terminal 3 and 0V...

(I'm an electronics engineer by profession, but don't want to take any chances with damaging the controller).

The other problem is that the controller bay has a big EV-1 label on it, but a cableform controller in it, and I cannot find any terminal information at all for this unit...

I need wiring info for either the throttle unit or preferably the cableform controller. That has two pin header connectors at one end for connection to the contactor coils etc., and something like a 16 way moulded plug & socket on the other end for the control or interface signals.

Any info on either part would be greatly appreciated!

Robert.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
The other problem is that the controller bay has a big EV-1 label on it, but a cableform controller in it, and I cannot find any terminal information at all for this unit...
Hi Robert,

Sounds like a real mess :eek: Was it ever functional for your friend?

I don't know that I have never seen Cableform controllers discussed on this forum. I happen to have one (which is still functional) in my 30 year old eJeep. I may have some documentation on it somewhere.

There have been a few posts or even threads about the GE EV-1 controller here. And IIRC, one guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable about them. You could try searching this site and see if you can locate the post and then send him a PM.

And you might post a couple of photos of the equipment in question. Perhaps I or someone else will recognize something.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Major,

yep, it was working fine until the throttle box got flooded.
Things went downhill from there..

He lives about 60 miles away, I don't know when I will be able to get any photos.

The cableform unit is mostly an encapulated lump with a couple of inductors and a thyristor pack visible, plus a circuit board clipped on one side.

Robert.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
yep, it was working fine until the throttle box got flooded.
Things went downhill from there..
Hi Robert,

Small world. I saw this response on the EVDL when talking about a Curtis PB-6.

PS: I have a GE potbox that I opened up to check on its wiring. It
turned out to be optical! The sliding shaft moved a metal shutter plate.
Holes in this plate were sensed by opto-interrupters. There was just a
tiny bit of logic to convert the gray code produced by the interrupters
into binary, which selected a 1-2-4-8 series of resistors. for the 0-5k
output.
Posted by Lee Hart. Whom I noticed lately has registered on this forum. He knows everything. Ask him :)

major

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50791

1 - 4 of 4 Posts