DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone happy to be here, first I ave a project car as Mini Cooper 2010 manual 6 speed transform to ev so I ave a GE forklift motor 36/48 volts and the car for now so I need help to transform this car the motor 13inch diameter and 17 inch long big 200 pounds, so for all the welding and the fittings of the motor no problem for me at all , the thing I need to know is witch controller I need and how many battery and what kind ( here is the tag on the motor)
HP/ KW 12.5
Duty 1hr @ 140C
AU 1840 ?
So if someone can tell me what to buy and where whit a link I will appreciate, so as you can see I need everting
Thank you very mutch

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
...here is the tag on the motor)
HP/ KW 12.5
Duty 1hr @ 140C
AU 1840 ?
It's hard to interpret the information on a nameplate without context. The "AU" item is meaningless to me without more information. Can you post a photo of the nameplate where you are reading this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi Brian thank you for repliant ,here is the sticker on the motor, and my English is not to good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way I am building thi car for summer only and, and I saw some posts ho the says advance the brunch I don’t know what it’s mine

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
here is the sticker on the motor...
That's a good photot, but it's one of the least useful motor placards I've seen - I was hoping for some context for at least the "AU1840", but there isn't any. Perhaps someone else will recognize this specific GE style and have more useful information.

Without some indication of operating speed, it's hard to tell how much current it would require.

That appears to be exactly the motor - including the specific serial number - in this eBay listing:
GENERAL ELECTRIC 5BT1362B144, BT1362B144 MOTOR NEW
I suspect that what they list as "SER NO." isn't really a serial number, but rather a more specific model number.

You might need to just assume that it is similar to other brushed DC motors in this voltage range of about the same size. What is the outside diameter of the motor?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is mine dirty whit different serial number, and thank you very mutch for your help :)

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
That 13 inch motor looks excellent - but it will need enough voltage to get to a useful rpm

I would suggest a minimum of 144 volts and 500 amps

in the forklift it will be more like 48 volts and 200 amps - but that will only work at low rpms - as in 1500 rpm

I'm using a slightly smaller motor (an 11 inch Hitachi) and I'm feeding it 1200 amps and 340 volts - but that is a bit extreme

Brush advance
You will need to advance the brushes because of the higher voltage and rpm - its not that difficult

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yé thank you Duncan yes this mini it is for summer only, so how can I advance the brushes , and I want to be a bit crazy and more if I can, but if you can give me 2 alternative I will appreciate

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
Need pictures of your motor
they are usually in three parts
A rear piece with bearing
A center section with the field coils mounted to it
A front part with the front bearing and the brushes mounted to it

The way I advanced my motor was by drilling and tapping some new holes in the center bit so that the front part could be mounted about 8 degrees more advanced than its initial neutral position

There is a sticky thread in the motors section about using a forklift motor - I suggest spending an evening (its a long thread) just going though it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thank you I will post a picture tomorrow, an if you can give me the link to do it it will be perfect
Thank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ho i Forget do you ave a place ho the ave good Price for controller, batterie, all I need to do my project ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Showbill: lots of people use batteries from wrecked EV's ex. Leaf, Volt. You can buy prismatics from online vendors. 500A would probably give very mild performance, even in a lightweight car. Manzanita Micro sells excellent controllers: the Z1K is available in a couple of different pack voltage levels and can output 1000A. It all depends on your specific goals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone happy to be here, first I ave a project car as Mini Cooper 2010 manual 6 speed transform to ev so I ave a GE forklift motor 36/48 volts and the car for now so I need help to transform this car the motor 13inch diameter and 17 inch long big 200 pounds, so for all the welding and the fittings of the motor no problem for me at all , the thing I need to know is witch controller I need and how many battery and what kind ( here is the tag on the motor)
HP/ KW 12.5
Duty 1hr @ 140C
AU 1840 ?
So if someone can tell me what to buy and where whit a link I will appreciate, so as you can see I need everting
Thank you very mutch
It might be better if you salvaged an EV for the drive train. By the time you get the controller you might have to spend big money. You will also get better performance from let's say a Nissan Leaf drive train.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thank you but how mutch can cost a Nissan Leaf drive train and will it fit in a Mini Cooper?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts