DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok i just check on salvage and found that set up from a VW E Gulf 2018 batterie, charger , and bms

Capacity: 111AH

Dimension : 14" x 6" x 4.25"

Weight : 25 pounds

About the cell :

Manufacturer : Samsung SDI

Nominal Cell Voltage: 3.7 V

Maximum Cell Charge Voltage: 4.2 V

Minimum Cell Discharge Voltage: 3.0 V

Capacity: 37AH

Can it be good for my project? 400$

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Each module contain 12 x 37AH cells in a 4S3P configuration

About the module (12 cells)

Nominal Module Voltage: 14.8 V

Maximum Module Charge Voltage: 16.8 V

Minimum Module Discharge Voltage: 12.0 V

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found that from a salvage do you think it could be good for my project?

Battery module from a 2018 VW E-Golf.
Each module contain 12 x 37AH cells in a 4S3P configuration

About the module (12 cells)

Nominal Module Voltage: 14.8 V

Maximum Module Charge Voltage: 16.8 V

Minimum Module Discharge Voltage: 12.0 V

About the cell :

Manufacturer : Samsung SDI

Nominal Cell Voltage: 3.7 V

Maximum Cell Charge Voltage: 4.2 V

Minimum Cell Discharge Voltage: 3.0 V

Capacity: 37AH

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok thank you but how mutch can cost a Nissan Leaf drive train and will it fit in a Mini Cooper?
You get them in the junk yard. The price is highly variable. If you could transplant the whole system you would have fast charging and a 24kw or larger battery. Integration into your mini would be the challenge. But since both are FWD you basically would be building a mount for the front suspension and simply transplant in the Leaf drivetrain. Many have done this on both electric and gas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Need pictures of your motor
they are usually in three parts
A rear piece with bearing
A center section with the field coils mounted to it
A front part with the front bearing and the brushes mounted to it

The way I advanced my motor was by drilling and tapping some new holes in the center bit so that the front part could be mounted about 8 degrees more advanced than its initial neutral position

There is a sticky thread in the motors section about using a forklift motor - I suggest spending an evening (its a long thread) just going though it
5BT1366B107A motor identification

this is my motor GE 325744

·
Registered
21 Posts
The reason I have brought up using existing EVs as a basis for a conversion is these drive trains rarely break and the used price is low as the used market is small. They are robust and you can get rid of the stock transmission if you mount the unit either in rear drive or front drive modes. You can if you are cleaver use the Nissan OEM controls and basically make a 2002 BMW into a Nissan Leaf. Many advantages. Chademo fast charging among them. Not to mention Nissan has made a vehicle much better than the fork lift motor conversions we did 20 years ago. I own 2 Nissan Leafs and to be honest these are comfortable vehicles which are so much better than anything we can make. But if you want a body style other than a hatchback then a drive train swap is much better than overvolting a forklift motor. Been there done that. Lawrence Rhodes' 1997 Ford Aspire

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Thanks for the module information - it's good to see dimensions and configuration - but it isn't necessary to post the same thing three times.

The energy density of these modules is relatively typical of modern EVs, although perhaps a little on the low side; it's much better than the first-generation e-Golf (which had different 25 Ah cells from Sanyo or Panasonic). The configuration could be useful for DIY EV conversions, because the battery is split up into so many small modules (accommodating the intricate packaging arrangement of the e-Golf pack), so they can be arranged to fit available space; also, any desired system voltage can be roughly matched by changing the number of modules in series.

The first-generation e-Golf had the same overall cell configuration (88S 3P), in a total of 27 modules, with some of them being half the size (2S 3P instead of 4S 3P). If salvaging from a used e-Golf, be aware that there are likely 17 4S3P modules and ten 2S 3P modules.

The e-Golf has a rated motor power (probably only for a brief period) of 100 kW; at 323 V that's 310 amps, so the modules must be able to safely deliver that in bursts. To use them at a low system voltage you would need to arrange in them in parallel strings; for instance, two strings at 310 amps each could safely deliver 620 amps total. With eight modules per string, you would be using about two-thirds of the e-Golf pack, delivering up to 73 kW to the controller.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi can someone tell me witch contactor i should buy for a 80 volts controller whit 600 amp

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi again everyone I need information on what I should buy for my project

1- controller dc 80 volts 500amp ?
2- throttle pedal
3- contactor ?
Thank you

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
Hi again everyone I need information on what I should buy for my project

1- controller dc 80 volts 500amp ?
2- throttle pedal
3- contactor ?
Thank you
NO!! - 80 volts will give you a top speed of about 40 mph

You need 144 volts PLUS
500 amps is OK
The throttle will depend on the controller

You will need
A Reversing contactor - this is a funny two coil device to enable you to reverse the motor
If you are using a gearbox with reverse you don't need a reversing contactor

A Contactor for each end of the battery
A contactor (smaller) for the pre-charge

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you Duncan as you can see I don’t know to mutch , i will ask you a favour so if you can make me a drawing how to connect all of this if you ave time if you don’t ave time it is ok or if you know where I can find a drawing it will be perfect
Thank you very mutch ⚡

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi I found one for starting project and I will do more next summer but there is a question I needs to know for now is how can I boust my motor to accep 144v now it is a 36/48 volts and my motor as I said before it is a GE motor 17 inch’s long x 12inch
Thank you for your help

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
Hi I found one for starting project and I will do more next summer but there is a question I needs to know for now is how can I boust my motor to accep 144v now it is a 36/48 volts and my motor as I said before it is a GE motor 17 inch’s long x 12inch
Thank you for your help
The only thing you need to do is to advance the brushes - if you read the thread on "Using a forklift motor"

·
Registered
505 Posts
As Duncan mentioned earlier you should have one contactor in each battery wire. Typically the one in the negative lead turns on with the ignition key and the one in the positive lead is turned on after the controller is pre-charged. I have used Tyco EV200 AAANA style but there are others. They must match your battery voltage and controller current limits. You may need reversing contactors if you do not use a transmission.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi again everyone I found 3 Honda Civic battery pack 144 volts in good condition I would like to know if you know how can I use this 3 pack for my project but I will start whit 1 to see if everything works correctly and I will ave to change my controller 80v 600A

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ho i forget do you know if I can modify the front of the battery pack where are the fuse and the terminals, the it came from 2005 civic

21 - 40 of 50 Posts