DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Hopefully someone out there will be able to help. I have been restoring a Bradley GT II Electric and am now getting close to hooking everything up. Well when I removed the motor, (it appears to be the same as the GE 5BT1346B50 Series) I could not tell where a couple of wires went. These are the two white small-gauge wires protruding from the middle of the motor. Does anyone know what these do? Where (if at all) they are to be connected to the EV-1 Controller? Also, I just discovered that this motor needs a cooling blower. Can anyone offer info on specs - voltage, airflow requirement?

I have not yet tested out the controller, depending on the the relative state of health, what alternative controllers should I consider?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Pictures would be helpful. The GE motors need external cooling for most of them. I use one of these pictured below. The two wires are for an idiot light to show when the motor is too hot. Many don't bother hooking them up. I have not done so with my GE motor. 120 volts or maybe 144 volts but no more. The GE motors are usually neutral timed so don't handle higher voltages as well but they are very stout and quality built motors. I used one in my original VW Ghia and had it in my Bug for a bit. I am now using a Kostov Motor but still have a nice GE motor that may still be used in a VW at 120 volts. My GE motor has no tail shaft. The fit in a VW without cutting the sheet metal. I know of one that runs a GE neutral timed motor at 144 volts. Been doing so for many many years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoohoo.

Thank you for your help. I presume that the motor blower is available through Samba. When I researched Samba, I had a difficult time locating the items I needed. Can you share how you located these?

Thank you again for the prompt and useful information.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I'll send you some information later but if you know which VW's have what and what things are called its pretty easy. If not, it can be a bear. I just happen to know VW's and TheSamba pretty good. Go to the samba.com and then select the classified tab and scroll to search. It pops up a list of VW's and areas to search. If your looking for parts just scroll to the parts section and select your type and years your VW fits in. If its general then go to general parts. This item happens to be a heater blower and usually found in the Type II Bus section of parts. Yes they are available. They have two outlets and you can either block one off or use one for the motor and the other to blow air into the cabin. Connect up a heat system and have heat for your EV. I don't know the output but they push a lot of air.

Pete :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts