DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have the a 67 VW single cab that I converted to EV Warp 9 , 153V. I have the orginal running gear and there are gear reduction boxes on each rear wheel with a ratio of 1.26. I was looking for some feed back if the boxes help or hinder the EV performance, range, etc...
The truck take off pretty quick with boxes and VW put them in so the truck or bus could haul alot of weight with small engine. I am hauling alot of battery weight so they might be helpful.

Any input from the experts?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The geared hubs reduce the torque that your halfshafts and transmission see. And I'm sure the Warp 9 is making more torque than the original engine ever did. So there is a trade off. Any gear train reduces efficiency a little, and adds to parts that need to be maintained.

If they are still in good sound mechanical condition now, I would keep them until something breaks or wears out. Then replace the whole transaxle with something newer, and maybe upgrade the brakes then too.

I would spend money fixing something that isn't broken now.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
*would not spend money...* sorry about that.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice, I am not planning on changing them anytime soon was curious about effecieny.

I am going to change oil in them and the transmission.

thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It won't hurt much, it looks like they help with axle ground clearance so they are useful in that regard, plus if you are keeping the transmission you rarely see top gear used, so you will have more gear selection options (should translate to more performance under various conditions).

They will add a bit of inefficiency though, dunno, maybe %5? but driving a heavy box shaped vehicle is already inefficient, so I dont know what to tell you re:range, much bigger things to worry about there.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
if you haven't already, run full synthetic NON-positraction gear oil in these gearboxes (and maybe your main gearbox too). Almost all gear oils have posi additive, which increases friction. I like redline superlight shockproof. It will reduce friction substantially over regular dino gear oil. One caveat is some older geartrains (like my land rover transfer case) can have problems with low sulphur lubricants, so check with the VW community to make sure it won't cause problems first. its literally a pour-in efficiency improvement.

And +1 on ditching the AGMs. Keep your eyes open for a wrecked LEAF and get the battery from that one, reconfigure if needed, and be astounded. (or at least pleased)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts