DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows what the Volts use for cabling. I know both cables are jacketed with an isolation detector but I'm lightly wondering after watching the Teslonda build if upgrading the conductors would improve performance on a stock Volt. The mid pack fuse is 350A.

Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows what the Volts use for cabling. I know both cables are jacketed with an isolation detector but I'm lightly wondering after watching the Teslonda build if upgrading the conductors would improve performance on a stock Volt. The mid pack fuse is 350A.

Thanks.
I got the DC cable from a crashed Ampera and it is 35mm2 with a shield. That is why it looks like 50mm2.

I think 350A max is a good enough estimation. Volt power inverter is capable of 115kW at least. So 350V x 320A gives a good enough power.

A

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the DC cable from a crashed Ampera and it is 35mm2 with a shield. That is why it looks like 50mm2.

I think 350A max is a good enough estimation. Volt power inverter is capable of 115kW at least. So 350V x 320A gives a good enough power.

A
Thank you. I'd love to noodle out a way to get the ELR programming into the Volt's inverter, being as they share the same part number.

There's a '13 Volt inverter for a hundred bucks on ebay I might spring for to have something to tinker with. I need to understand where the limiting programming lies.

I guess at the level the Volt is currently at bulking up the conductors would be futile. After driving one you do get the sense of measured power, and you can tell there is much more that can be had.

·
Administrator
6,120 Posts
Hi Monzsta

I'm using most of a volt battery in my device - 6 x 2 kwh and 2 x 1 kwh - no room for the final 2 kwh unit
And the fuse/disconnect

I'm using 1200 amps! - but it only hits that for a couple of seconds so even the 350 amp fuse has not blown

The required conductor size depends on the current and on the duration - and the Volt is designed to operate for 200,000 miles with no problems

You can happily exceed the Volt numbers - but at a higher risk of failure

·
Registered
949 Posts
Inverter is capable of 600A per side at 400V for sure. However motor MGB, the strongest of them has only 16mm2 cable crossection. I am not sure if it works beyont 350A at all. Also contact area is a bit small maybe 8mm?

I am sure inverter contacts would carry 500A continuously.

See pic with M8 stud for comparison.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts