DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all again, my last post is awaiting moderator approval for like 15 days so trying again;
Does anyone on here have experience with Gen 3 Nissan leaf cells?
I have recently acquired some for revitalizing my (4 wheeled) Zap pickup (its been sitting for 4 years).
They seem to come in 3P9S modules (32.85V) and 3P4S (14.6V) Nominal modules.

I am considering re-configuring them to a simple 35S pack.
Perhaps this post will go thru?
Cheers

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Does anyone on here have experience with Gen 3 Nissan leaf cells?
I have recently acquired some for revitalizing my (4 wheeled) Zap pickup (its been sitting for 4 years).
They seem to come in 3P9S modules (32.85V) and 3P4S (14.6V) Nominal modules.
I assume that we're talking about the optional 62 kWh pack; the 40 kWh pack is still produced as the base model, so they're not exactly different generations.

The 62 kWh pack has 16 modules, all with cells horizontal (so different lengths of stacks are different heights) in four identical rows down the length of the pack, each row having
  • 7S3P module under the front seat,
  • two 4S3P modules under the rear seat footwell, and
  • 9S3P module under the rear seat.
I am considering re-configuring them to a simple 35S pack.
As with most modules built of pouch cells, the cells tabs are welded together so changing the configuration within a module is difficult. 35S is an awkward number to hit, but if you wanted 32S3P you could get that with two 7S3P modules plus two 9S3P modules, or even all eight of the 4S3P modules. You could add one of the 4S3P to get 36S3P. Depending on your available space, various other combinations might make sense.

How much capacity are you trying to assemble, and how much space is there? Any 32S3P combination is one-third of the full pack or about 21 kWh.

The only project that I have seen use the 62 kWh pack is Rockcrawler's Toyota 4Runner 4x4 Race truck Leaf conversion; both earlier and later style packs were used, with the new one starting at post #4.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that we're talking about the optional 62 kWh pack; the 40 kWh pack is still produced as the base model, so they're not exactly different generations.

The 62 kWh pack has 16 modules, all with cells horizontal (so different lengths of stacks are different heights) in four identical rows down the length of the pack, each row having
  • 7S3P module under the front seat,
  • two 4S3P modules under the rear seat footwell, and
  • 9S3P module under the rear seat.

As with most modules built of pouch cells, the cells tabs are welded together so changing the configuration within a module is difficult. 35S is an awkward number to hit, but if you wanted 32S3P you could get that with two 7S3P modules plus two 9S3P modules, or even all eight of the 4S3P modules. You could add one of the 4S3P to get 36S3P. Depending on your available space, various other combinations might make sense.

How much capacity are you trying to assemble, and how much space is there? Any 32S3P combination is one-third of the full pack or about 21 kWh.
Greetings thank you for the reply! Its for my old 2009 Zap XL (4 wheel)
Looks like I acquired three 9S3P module's (27 cells, 32.9 volts nominal and
two 4S3P modules (8 cells, 14.6 volts nominal).
I got the BMS harnesses for them also.

From what I could decipher the Zap XL 120VDC motor specs are 19kW, 25.2 HP,
Peak output 68.3 kW or 85 HP.
It used to have 10 old AGM style UB121100's 110Ah I figured the pack capacity to be around 7kW and about a 10 mile range that degraded rapidly to 4 when I last dove it 3 years ago.
So I am planning to make a 127V Nominal 20-22kW pack, to improve range and torque on hills with this leaf battery score.
Just not sure if I should re-spot weld these?
or simply daisy chain them together and figure out some kind of custom BMS / charging set up?
I believe I can reprogram the ATmega based stock charger pretty easily, and get it to talk to a BMS, but not sure which BMS to use and what configuration would be best?
Cheers

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I received an e-mail notice that tortuga had replied:
"Greetings thank you for the reply! Its for my old 2009 Zap XL (4 wheel) Looks like I acquired three 9S3P module's (27 cells, 32.9 volts nominal and two 4S3P modules (8 cells, 14.6 volts nominal). I got the BMS harnesses for them also. From what I could decipher the Zap XL 120VDC motor specs..."​
... however, that post is apparently still in administrative limbo. I look forward to seeing the whole post.

In earlier models (the Xebra) Zap used Discover Model EV12A-A AGM batteries; if they used those for the XL at nominally 120 V that would be ten of them, for a total battery volume of about 150 litres.

There is another thread about these modules (which I forgot about earlier):
Differences in dimension between 24kwh and 62kwh Nissan Leaf battery modules
In that discussion the conclusion was that the modules from the 62 kWh battery are essentially the same in the cell width and height dimensions as the earlier modules, but the total stack length is much longer (something less than 50% longer) since there are 3 cells in the 62 kWh modules for every 2 cells in the 24/30/40 kWh modules. That suggests a stack about a metre long for roughly one-third of the full 62 kWh pack, or about 62 litres of total volume. As long as they can be arranged in the available space, it looks very promising for them fitting. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! Apparently if my post is too long it gets libmo'ed forever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts